Sunday, July 10, 2005

“Why do we play with fire, why do we run our finger through the flame?
Why do we nod our heads although we know the boss is wrong as rain?
Why should we blaze a trail when the well-worn path seems safe and so inviting?
What does it take to wake up a generation?
How can you make someone take off and fly?
Why would we rather put ourselves through hell than sleep alone at night?
Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution if we’re so free, tell me why, someone tell me why so many people bleed.” ~an assortment of questions to ponder from Tick, Tick…BOOM!

Scott, Sam, Everett, and Carter (all Middlebury guys) are hanging out downstairs. I was down there with them for a while but the conversation got too guy-oriented for me, so I’m hiding out up here. Sam is the only one in their group who I feel like I can really talk to. I’m spending way too much up here writing, and I really have nothing to write about because I’m up here all the time. What a paradox. I know no one will end up reading all of this, so I’m basically writing it for myself. I don’t know what to do with all my free time. I really do make an effort to get out, though. This morning I went to the farmer’s market with Nicole and her flatmate. It was really cool; I bought lots of fresh food at really cheap prices. They have it every Saturday, so I’ll definitely go back. And I’ve gone out at night a few times with people; there are lots of bars around here. I finished the two books I brought with me. I listen to too much music. I’m in love with music. Right now I’m listening to Tick, Tick…BOOM! It always makes me want to cry (but I never do) because it makes me think about Jonathan Larson. It’s a really good show.
My courses and my schedule were confirmed, so here’s what I’m taking: Victorian Literature (English), The Reading Process (Education), New Zealand Society and Religion (History), and The Music Industry (Music). The first three all count towards my major and minors, which is good. They all sound fun to me. I actually am pretty excited for classes to start. The earliest I start is at 9am, which isn’t so bad, and I have no classes on Fridays, which is great for weekend trips.
I should be able to post all this soon because I registered my computer with the school’s network. Once it clears, I’ll be able to plug my laptop in at the library and connect to the Internet there. I’m not sure if I’ll end up getting Internet service in the flat. Scott and I were looking into installing it, but now he’s talking about getting wireless service for himself, which won’t work for my computer. It’ll probably be good for me to not have Internet access here, because if I did it would just give me another excuse to stay in my room and be anti-social. I think the rugby game is on tv now, so I’ll go be social and watch some of it with the guys. I used to play rugby at camp, and I was pretty good at it. I was really good, actually.

Random Revelation: I hope 30/14 isn’t so difficult for me. Hm, that doesn't sound as cool as 30/90 (go buy the TTB cast recording if you don’t get that reference).

No comments: