Monday, July 11, 2005

“As we drive along this road called life, occasionally a gal will find herself a little lost. And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the ‘coulda, shoulda, woulda,’ buckle up and just keep going.” ~sex and the city

The Kiwis are here! Matt and Rich arrived on Sunday, and I’m really glad to have them; the flat feels complete now. They’re both very friendly. Rich is training for the duathlon World Championships in September; he’s quite an athlete (the duathalon is like the triathlon except without the swimming, so it’s biking and running). He’s off running or biking a lot. We seem to have similar schedules, so I’ve gotten to know him a little bit while hanging around the flat. He’s really funny. They both seem like great guys. And we have a cooking schedule; we each cook dinner once a week (on the weekends we fend for ourselves). It’s nice to not have to worry about what to do for dinner every night. And I already love sitting down and eating together, it feels like a family. So flatting is going really well.

My classes are going well as well. The Music Industry is the best class ever; I already know it’ll be my favorite class I take in college. The tutor (that’s what they call the professor) is amazing. He’s a bass player and has played with some really famous names. He’s played with and is really good friends with Pete Townsend, for one. How cool is that?! I love going to class and listening to him talk about what is, to me, the most interesting stuff in the world. And get this: our final exam is writing an essay about the movie “This is Spinal Tap.” Writing about an awesome movie is something I would do for fun! Anyway, I love it.
My Victorian Literature class seems like it’ll be really interesting, but difficult. We’re reading some good books, though, like The Woman in White, so I think I’ll like the class.
New Zealand Society and Religion will definitely be very challenging, especially because I know nothing about New Zealand history (which you’re kind of expected to know when you’re taking a 300-level course). But the tutor is a really cool guy; he seemed drunk in class. He’s so energetic and I know he’ll keep me interested. He promised to enrage us all multiple times, and I like that.
I haven’t had The Reading Process yet (I have it later this afternoon), but I’ll let y’all know how it goes. I was going to go out and buy my books, but it started snowing so I decided to stay in here for now. Maybe tomorrow.

Random Revelation: New Zealand accents are really difficult to understand (much moreso than Australian accents).

No comments: