Thursday, July 14, 2005

“Radio turns to gold, And paves the way To find my home, When I'm alone…Oh no, here I go my friend, I'm repeating, But the heart is for bleeding. And I've said all I can say, I am retreating, on my way. Music box, play my song I'll sing along To that bitterly sweet tone, When I'm alone...” ~carbon leaf

It’s an absolutely beautiful day here; it must be at least 60 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s amazing how quickly the weather can change. Yesterday it was snowing, today it feels like spring, and tomorrow it will probably be snowing or hailing again. I walked around a lot (for hours) because I couldn’t bear to stay inside. I ran into Nicole and we walked around for a while. Apparently every month the school has a rummage sale of everything left in the lost and found. It was going on today so we checked it out (didn’t buy anything, though). School hasn’t gotten really busy yet. Tutorials haven’t even started, and I have a little reading to do so far, but not much. It’s a lot different here; so much of the focus is on final exams. In all of my classes the final exam is worth at least 50% of my grade, usually more. There really aren’t any assignments throughout the semester. I don’t like that so much. It seems harder to stay motivated and involved when you’re not being assessed on what you learn as you go along. It’s an interesting change, though, and I like experiencing another country’s educational system.
I’m waiting for Matt to get off the internet (I’m typing this in Word); I have a feeling that he’ll be a while. He’s already been on it for what seems like forever. Arg. Alright, I’m giving up and I’m off to read Mary Barton (for Victorian lit.). It’s not due for a couple of weeks I think, but I have to get ahead because after this weekend I will be devoting myself entirely to the new Harry Potter. I pre-ordered it from the local bookstore so I’ll get it on Saturday and won’t put it down until I’ve finished it. You have no idea how excited I am. Yes, I am obsessed and proud of it. I cannot rave enough about the genius and magic that is Harry Potter.

No comments: