Monday, July 18, 2005

"We take all kinda pills That give us all kinda thrills, But the thrill we’ve never known Is the thrill that it gets ya When you get your picture On the cover of the rolling stone." ~Poison

I'm not sure if the American Rolling Stone is the same as the Australian version, but if it is, you should go out and buy it because it will give you the best laugh you've had in ages. It seriously had some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while. First, there's an article on Rivers Cuomo (from Weezer), and he's one of the strangest people in the world. He's been celibate for the last two years and is really dedicated to all this crazy meditation stuff; I've heard weird things about him, and this article furthered his characterization as an incredibly interesting and unfathomable person. I don't know how Weezer has stuck together for so long because it sounds like no one gets along with Rivers. But they still make great music, so I guess that's why they're still together.
Then there's an interview with Ryan Adams. Now, everyone knows Ryan Adams hates interviews; there have been some pretty funny ones in the past. But this one is right up there with the worst of them. That guy only gets crazier and crazier. I saw him in concert two years ago, before he fell into the downward spiral that he's in now, and he seemed pretty normal. Since he fell off the stage in the middle of a concert due to intoxication and broke his wrist, he's just gotten worse. I can't even count how many times he curses in the interview. It's a phone interview, and he abruptly leaves midway through, giving the phone to his drummer. He comes back later and takes the phone again, saying, "Hello? I'm better. I was half asleep, I was literally dreaming when they took the phone in my bunk. Listen, do me a favour and don't pull any quotes of me talking about like, 'I'm physical karma and I'm going to bust the journalist's tooth out.' I know, in some way, it would make for good print, but I was just being cranky. I bet you're cranky when you wake up too." Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for readers), they printed all his ramblings about how he hates journalists and about wanting to punch them and how he harasses them. It's great.
Finally, there's an interview with Coldplay. I love Coldplay, I've been rambling about how I was less than a foot away from Chris Martin since that concert, but this really gets me. Here's a snippet of them talking:
Jon Buckland (Coldplay's guitarist): We've got nothing to fear. Except fear itself.
Chris Martin: Yeah. Except for fear itself...What film is that from? 'Nothing to fear except fear itself.' I like that.
Seriously? I mean, I know he's not American, but "what film is that from?"???? I don't expect him to know everything about American political history, but that quote is a pretty famous one from a pretty famous speech by a pretty famous President.
Anyway, the new issue of Rolling Stone is highly amusing and interesting. There's a really good article about Oasis, too.

I finished the newest Harry Potter; I read it all weekend. I loved it, because I love Harry Potter, but I didn't like it as much as the 4th and 5th books. I thought it was predictable; I immediately guessed who the half-blood prince was and I also predicted some other main plot elements that I won't spoil for those who haven't read it yet. I cried a little, but not as much as I did during the 6th book. It just made me more excited for the 7th book. That one will be good. I can't wait.

No comments: