Friday, July 08, 2005

“Didn’t have a camera by my side this time, Hoping I would see the world through both my eyes. Maybe I will tell you all about it when I’m in the mood to lose my way with words….Today I finally overcame trying to fit the world inside a picture frame. Maybe I will tell you all about it when I’m in the mood to lose my way but let me say you should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes, it brought me back to life. You’ll be with me next time I go outside, no more 3x5s.” ~john mayer

I have a feeling this is going to be a really long entry, so sit tight.
Today was the trip to the peninsula. All the International students (about 500 of us) piled on multiple buses and they drove us out there. The trip only furthered my inkling that this is the most beautiful place in the world. We went to an albatross colony (the only place in the world where albatross rest on the mainland) and to a few beaches and just drove around the hills. The buses were on different rotations so that we weren’t all at the same place at once. Here’s some picture highlights, even though they don’t adequately capture the beauty. We were all in awe.

It was a beautiful day for most of the trip. Then when we were at the last beach, it started pouring. Now, to get to this beach, we had to walk down this long trail and down a huge hill of sand. I mean huge. It took twenty minutes to get down to the beach. When it started raining, we had to walk back up to the road and to the bus (the uphill trip was much longer). So I found myself climbing up this mountain of sand in the pouring rain. It was raining so hard it was horizontal rain at one point. And then, when I was about halfway to the bus, it started hailing. It really hurt my face, so I turned around and walked uphill backwards. I had to stop a few times because it was coming down so hard and I couldn’t even move because I was going against it. By the time I made it up to the bus, I was completely soaked. My shoes were filled with water, my jeans were drenched and dripping, and I was just a complete mess. And I couldn’t even go home to get warm and dry (not that I can ever get warm in the flat) because we had to go to a “barbeque” (in quotes because Kiwis really don’t know how to throw a proper BBQ). But even though I was wet and uncomfortable and freezing for the rest of the time, it was actually a really fun day. I made a new friend, a “real” friend. I’ve met so many people here and have had the same exact conversation with each of them (What’s your name? Where are you from? What year are you? What are you studying? Why did you decide to come here? Do you like it so far? Who do you live with? Etc.) but haven’t really made any true connections that I know will last (besides with Perrine hopefully). But Nicole and I got along well and we’re going to the farmer’s market together tomorrow. So I’m happy I met her. It made the trip worthwhile.
We had a party at our flat tonight, and I had an awesome time. We played Screw the Dealer (not usually my favorite game) and Spoons. Luckily Bobby (he goes to Richmond) was the unlucky dealer of the night instead of me. There were lots of people crammed into our flat, and usually big parties aren’t my thing, but this one was different. I found my own little niche of people to hang out with and had a good time. Now the flat is a mess (we’ve got about 100 beer cans and bottles strewn around the living room/kitchen and a few spills on the carpet) but I don’t mind cleaning it up.
Storytime: I know I’ve been complaining about the cold weather non-stop, but it’s hard to ignore. Anyway, it made me think about the coldest I’ve ever been. January 11th, 2004. The coldest day of the year in NYC. Also the day (or night, I guess) that I camped outside for SNL tickets. Don’t I have perfect timing? It was one degree outside. Looking back, I realize how insanely stupid I was in my preparations. I was wearing long johns (top and bottom), jeans, a shirt, a sweater, and a jacket. A lot of layers, but not nearly enough for staying outside all night in 1-degree weather. I think I had a blanket and a cushion to sit on. I had forgot to bring a hat into the city so Uncle Don gave me one before I left for Rockefeller Center, and I left it in the cab. So my head wasn’t covered, which I think was my worst mistake. Anyway, I froze. I can’t even describe how cold I was. I’ve never been that cold before and I hope I never am again. It hurt to move my body, but I made myself jump around every once in a while. Carrie and I tried to keep each other occupied by talking nonstop and by making each other laugh, but it didn’t help much. We camped outside Friday night because on Saturday morning at 7am they gave out stand-by tickets for that night. After they gave out the tickets (well, they were actually just numbers) I went back to Don and Sheila’s apartment and slept. I turned the heat all the way up (you can control the heat in the individual rooms) and piled tons of blankets on me. It took me a couple hours to thaw out. I actually felt like I was thawing. My body gradually got less stiff. When the heat had actually warmed me up a little, my body stung. You know when a part of your body falls asleep and then it stings when you start moving it again? My whole body felt like that, like I was being pricked all over with pins and needles. It was the strangest sensation. My body was still sore more than twelve hours later, when we had to go back to get in line for the show. I think it was worth it, although I’m not sure I did at the time. What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, and I got to see a really good show. It was the first show after the winter hiatus, so they had lots of material to work with. Britney Spears’ wedding (her first one, the quickie one followed by an immediate divorce) was one highlight. And it was Jimmy Fallon’s last season, so I’m glad I caught him before he left. Anyway, that’s the coldest I’ve ever been, even though this feels almost as bad because it never ends.

Random Revelation: I got nothin’.

No comments: