Monday, August 27, 2007

"I mean, they don't even know what it is to be a fan, you know? To truly love some silly little piece of music or some band so much that it hurts." ~almost famous

I watched that movie for the thousandth time yesterday. I'm obsessed with it. Scroll down this page to see my picture with the movie's star Billy Crudup.

I'm trying to take advantage of what I think will be the last free time I'll have in a long time. On Friday Nic and I went to see The Last Town Chorus and Camera Obscura perform at the South Street Seaport. I wrote about the last time I saw The Last Town Chorus in concert here. At Friday's concert, Megan played the song "Wintering in Brooklyn" live for the first time ever. I looove that song, so I was excited. It was a really good setlist. I recorded the concert and the recording sounds pretty good, so maybe I'll post a couple mp3s later. We were in the second row so we were very close to a speaker and I thought that would screw it up, but it didn't really. If you haven't heard her version of the song "Modern Love," you must listen to it. It was featured on Grey's Anatomy, I think when Denny was having a heart attack (in the middle of the second season). Actually, I posted her music video of "Modern Love" in the post that I linked to above (click on the word 'here').

Today I went to Coney Island. It was a perfect day for it. I rode the world famous Cyclone (which was worth every penny, despite the fact that I had a headache for the rest of the afternoon because it was so bumpy) and walked around the boardwalk. Then I walked along the beach to Brighton Beach. The water felt so nice on my feet and legs. I think most New Yorkers forget that New York City is surrounded by water. We're used to traffic and skyscrapers crammed together and don't realize that the beach is just a short subway ride away. It felt good to get away and to see and smell and feel the ocean. I'll try to post pictures soon.

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with two other new English teachers at my school and we're going to go shopping and then set up our classrooms together. I'm excited about that. I'm especially looking forward to setting up my classroom library. I love young adult books.

On Wednesday I'm getting up insanely early to wait in line for free Shakespeare in the Park tickets to A Midsummer Night's Dream (read The New York Time's review here). Wish me luck.

No comments: