Monday, August 13, 2007

"This Broadway's got, it's got a lot of songs to sing. If I knew the tunes I might join in. I'll go my way alone. Grow my own, my own seeds shall be sown in New York City. Subway's no way for a good man to go down. Rich man can ride, and the hobo he can drown. And I thank the Lord for the people I have found. I thank the Lord for the people I have found." ~elton john

I survived my first demo lesson today. I guess it went okay. It turned out to be for 3 teachers pretending to be students, which was slightly awkward. I used Edgar Allan Poe's poem "Eldorado." I think my biggest mistake was choosing to do a lesson on a poem that included the word "gaily." The teachers (pretending to be students) made gay jokes throughout the lesson and I wasn't entirely sure how to deal with that so, for the most part, I ignored it. I was also interviewed by the hiring committee, and that could have gone better; I started off strong but one question towards the end tripped me up. But overall it was okay. My demo lesson on Wednesday will be for actual students, and I'm having trouble planning that lesson. So I'm here at the library hoping that a bolt of inspiration will hit me. Wish me luck.

Ooh, I never wrote about the Braves game last week! It was amazing. The Braves won 7-6 in a nail-biter. Chipper (my favorite player) got a 3-run homer. I was ecstatic. And Willie Harris's catch in the ninth inning was the top play on Sports Center. It was such a fabulous moment. Everyone thought the ball was out of the park and the Mets had tied the game; the crowd was on their feet cheering (because they were all Mets fans). But Willie Harris leaped up, stretched his glove over the fence, and caught the ball. The crowd was furious. I, of course, was going crazy with joy. I had thought the ball was gone the minute it made contact with the bat. I love baseball. I love moments like that. We're going to another Mets/Braves game next month and I can't wait.

I saw Stardust again over the weekend (I paid for it this time, though). I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time because the crowd was tamer, bu it was still good and I picked up on a few things I missed upon first viewing.

1 comment:

Heather said...

good luck with the second lesson!