Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I never go to New York City these days. Something about the buildings in Chelsea just kills me. Maybe in a month or two, maybe when things are different for me, maybe when things are different for you. You know all of this shit, just sticks in my head..." ~counting crows

AD lives in NYC now, in my neighborhood (pretty close to Chelsea).

Have I mentioned that I'm sick of this whole job search thing? Yesterday I had another brilliantly organized placement fair (can you sense my sarcasm?), at which there were even more people than the previous fairs (which I didn't think could be possible). Here are some highlights:
~After I interviewed with a school and walked away from the table, a guy pulled me aside. He whispered in my ear, "I saw you interviewing for that school, "nodding towards the table I had just left. "I can't tell you my name," he continued whispering, "but I want to warn you. You don't want to teach there. I taught there last year. There's a reason that they have vacancies." And then he walked away. I felt like I was being brought into some mafia plot or something. It was bizarre. But funny.
~Best interview question: "Do you cry very easily?"
~A principal looked at my resume and muttered, "Oh, you're a Richmond grad. My dad would kill me if I didn't hire you. He went there." After the interview, though, I have a feeling that he might be facing his dad's wrath. I don't think I impressed him too much.
~I pretended to be familiar with balanced literacy when an interviewer mentioned it. I recognized the term, didn't know what it meant, but gave the impression that I knew something about it. Then she asked me to explain the concept. I wanted to kick myself. After a long "Um...." I tried to make something up, but she interrupted me and told me that I was describing differentiation (which is not the same thing). Whoops.

I had an interview this morning and now I have to do a demo lesson for that school next week. So I have 2 demo lessons next week. And I can't just use the same lesson plan for both, because they have to be geared towards completely different levels (the school at which I interviewed today is a middle school, so I'll be doing a lesson for 6th and 7th graders). I'm not looking forward to planning those. I might head home for the weekend, because I think it will be easier to get work done there.

For now I'm focusing on having fun tomorrow at the baseball game and the concert.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Good luck with your lesson planning, Claire! Once things settle down and you're back in NJ sometime, we should get together. Greek is going well -- I'm happy that I'm already halfway through it, though.