Saturday, August 18, 2007

"We expected something, something better than before. We expected something more. Do you really think you can just put it in a safe behind a painting, lock it up and leave? Do you really think you can just put it in a safe behind a painting, lock it up and leave? Walk away now, and you’re gonna start a war." ~the national

Last night Nic and I went to see The National play a free concert at the South Street Seaport. There were tons of people there, even though it rained that evening and was just clearing up when they took the stage. They sold out 5 shows at the Bowery Ballroom in May, so I guess it's not surprising that they drew such a huge crowd.
I've been obsessed with The National ever since I was fortunate enough to see them open for The Arcade Fire in May. I haven't stopped listening to their album Boxer since then. It's amazing. Seriously. It's one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. It's gotten a lot of critical buzz, too. It's one of those albums that just keeps getting better and better as you listen to it over and over. It grows on me every time I hear it (and I listen to it a LOT). Those are the best kinds of records. Go buy it if you don't have it already.
The concert was good. They opened with "Start a War" and I almost went crazy with excitement; I love, love, love that song. Here's a setlist:
01 Start a War
02 Mistaken for Strangers
03 Secret Meeting
04 Brainy
05 Baby, We'll Be Fine
06 Slow Show
07 Abel
08 Squalor Victoria
09 Racing Like A Pro
10 Apartment Story
11 Daughters Of The Soho Riots
12 Fake Empire
13 Mr. November
Encores:
14 Murder Me Rachael
15 About Today
It wasn't a bad setlist. I wish they had played "Green Gloves," but that's pretty much my only complaint (and I didn't really even expect them to play it). Once it stopped raining it was a nice, cool night. So I was very glad to be able to go.
Nic and I are going to listen to Rufus Wainwright on Sunday, so I'll post a report of that concert.

No comments: