Tuesday, October 02, 2007

" Simona, you're getting older. Your journey's been etched on your skin. Simona, wish I had known that what seemed so strong has been and gone. I would call you up every Saturday night, and we'd both stay out 'til the morning light. And we sang, 'Here we go again.' And though time goes by, I will always be in a club with you in 1973 singing 'Here we go again.'" ~james blunt

I've been listening to James Blunt's new album, All the Lost Souls. It's okay. Not great, but not terrible. The first song on the CD, "1973," is definitely the best track. I'm predicting it will be the new "You're Beautiful." I listened through the whole album a couple of times and now I just keep listening to "1973" over and over. "Same Mistake" is also a good song. And "I Really Want You." If you click on the album link above, it'll send you to Amazon where there's a video of an acoustic performance of "I Really Want You." But none of the other songs hooked me. Here's a quote from Rolling Stone's review of the album (they hated it):
"What's more, too much of 'All the Lost Souls' is just pleasant ether, with Blunt showing a gift for drabness on forgettable ballads that make Coldplay seem like the Arctic Monkeys."
I think that's hilarious. Not necessarily true (I don't think anything can make Coldplay sound like the Arctic Monkeys), but a funny comparison. I guess it's interesting that I like both Coldplay (sometimes) and the Arctic Monkeys, despite the fact that they're such different bands. And it is true that James Blunt is even more different from the Arctic Monkeys than Coldplay is.

I'm settled into my new apartment and I love it. My roommates, Sandra and Katya, are incredibly nice. Our kitchen is nice and new and huge. My room is huge and bright. It's wonderful.

Today was a rough day at school. Well, every day is a rough day, but Tuesday is one of the days I have my kids for four periods, and they always hate that. I had a parent come in to talk to me today and that went fine. Her daughter cursed me off yesterday and is always rude, disrespectful, and disruptive. While I was talking with her and her mom today, she cried. It made me feel bad, even though this girl has been making my life miserable. The mom only speaks Spanish so an aide translated for me, which made it slightly difficult, but the mom was very nice and supportive of me.

I need to go plan lessons. Ugh.

No comments: