Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"Saw the world turning in my sheets, and once again I cannot sleep. Walk out the door and up the street, look at the stars beneath my feet. Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go. Hello, hello. There is no place I cannot go, my mind is muddy but my heart is heavy, does it show? I lose the track that loses me, so here I go. And so I sent some men to fight, and one came back at dead of night. Said he'd seen my enemy, said he looked just like me. So I set out to cut myself, and here I go..." ~james blunt

That's from "Same Mistake," one of the stronger tracks on All the Lost Souls.

The fact that I don't speak Spanish just keeps posing more difficulties. I had to deal with my super today, but he doesn't speak a word of English. Not a word. He's very nice and we managed to communicate through hand signals, but it wasn't easy. I asked him to drill a hole in the wall between my room and the living room so I could hook up my TV to the cable. I kept trying to signal 'drill,' but he didn't understand. We worked it out eventually. And we bonded as we fixed the toilet and cleaned up the water that flooded the floor. He taught me a few Spanish words and I taught him a few English ones.

I'm very upset that Andruw Jones won't be returning to the Braves next year. When I found out I cried. I'm seriously pretty distraught about it. I love Andruw. The Jones boys are my favorite players. Chipper Jones is my absolute favorite, and he's still on the team so that's something, but it won't be the same without Andruw. I don't deal with losing good, loyal players very well. There was an article in the New York Post today arguing that the fans care more about the game and the outcome of the season than the players do. I'd like to believe that's not true, at least for the Braves. A lot of fans are pretty intense, though. Right now tons of New Yorkers are devastated because of the Mets' unbelievable collapse. I mean devastated. On the cover of the New York Post the day after they lost was a picture of a little kid at Shea Stadium with tears flooding down his face. A lot of fans who attended the game just stayed in their seats at the stadium, processing the whole thing, until they had to be asked to leave. I understand how they feel. If it had been the Braves I would feel the exact same way. I would cry and scream and just feel awful. But the more invested you are, the greater the payoff is when your team does well. It can be such an amazing feeling that's worth all the frustration that you sometimes have to suffer.

The third episode of Gossip Girls and the second episode of Dirty Sexy Money air tonight, so I need to finish my lesson planning before they start. Wednesday has replaced Tuesday as my big TV night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the correct lyrics is
"So while I'm turning in my sheets..." actually

Claire said...

Ah! That makes more sense! Thank you!