Saturday, October 13, 2007

"I'm driving a stolen car, on a pitch black night. And I'm telling myself, it's gonna be all right. I drive by night, and I travel in fear that in this darkness I will disappear." ~patty griffin

I started this entry days ago and never finished it. So I'll add to it/revise it. It'll mostly be theater-related.
Christina Applegate was on Leno last week; she was funny. She made me love her even more when she said that she's really interested in Edith Bouvier Beale. It seemed like no one in the audience knew who she was talking about. But of course I did. I agree with her; I think Edith Bouvier Beale and her mother are fascinating. I love that Christina Applegate is a Grey Gardens fan. Her stint on Broadway obviously just wasn't a whim; she really loves the medium. Her new show, Samantha Who?, debuted this week to good ratings. It's on Mondays at 9:30pm; watch it. Or tape it while you're watching Heroes (Kristen Bell joins the cast of Heroes next week!!!).

On Sunday Nic and I went to see Speech and Debate. I loved it. It has a small cast of four actors and all of them are very talented, although Sarah Steele definitely stood out to me. I like her. She made the movie Spanglish bearable (she played Adam Sandler and Tea Leoni's daughter). The play is about three high school students whose secrets bring them together as they form a Speech and Debate team at their school. It's very interesting and relevant, dealing with the issues of journalistic freedom, sexual relations between adults in power and minors, teen pregnancy, and sexual identity. It's in the Roundabout Underground theatre, which is incredibly small. We sat in chairs set up right in front of the stage (which wasn't actually separated from the audience), and Nic and I were in the front row so it felt like we were part of the play, sitting in the classroom with the characters.

Tonight we're going to see Young Frankenstein, the hottest and most expensive ticket on Broadway. Nic is awesome and won coveted $25 front row seats through the lottery. I am SO excited. A Mel Brooks show starring Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally, Roger Bart...pretty cool to say the least. I'll report back about it.

No comments: