Saturday, October 06, 2007

"And we'll all float on. Alright already, we'll all float on. Alright, don't worry, even if things end up a bit too heavy we'll all float on." ~modest mouse

I saw the Broadway production of Mauritius this afternoon. It's a suspenseful play about two half-sisters who inherit a stamp collection and fight over it. Three shady men get involved in the fight. I'm sorry, that's an awful summary, but that's basically what it's about. It's filled with power struggles and physical fights and excitement and yelling and cursing and anger and tears and drama. I loved it. The New York Times wasn't crazy about it, but this is not the first time I've disagreed with Ben Brantley and I'm sure it won't be the last. I agree with him that the acting is one of the play's strongest suits. Alison Pill is fantastic. I'm a big fan of hers. She was great in my favorite play ever, The Lieutenant of Inishmore (she was nominated for a Tony for that), and her performance in Mauritius is just as strong in my opinion. Bobby Cannavale also does a great job with his character (a role that's perfect for him). And he's definitely easy on the eyes. Overall I thought it was a very good production and I'm glad I got to see it.
After the show I walked to a store on 9th Ave. to pick up Nic's birthday present and then walked back towards 8th Ave., and I passed Alison Pill, Bobby Cannavale, and Katie Finneran walking down the street away from the theater. I love it when I pass famous people. I didn't say anything, I just smiled at Ms. Pill as our eyes met and I kept walking.
I'm now in an Alison Pill mood so I'm going to watch my Pieces of April DVD tonight. She looks so young in that movie. I guess she was. She still is, actually (she's only 21 now). She's changed a lot, though. After the show Nic commented that she was afraid the girl was going to topple over because she looked so tiny. She has gotten really skinny.

No comments: