Thursday, May 28, 2009

"She said, 'Can't you hear me? 'Cause I'm screaming. I did not go outside yesterday.' I said, "Don't wake me, don't wake me, 'cause I'm dreaming. And I might not go outside again today.'" ~counting crows

I nearly forgot to write about one of the most important events in the literary world! Alice Munro was awarded this year's Man Booker Prize. She was not the favorite to win; in fact, she was a longshot, so it was definitely an upset. She's a very talented writer, and I know she's deserving, but I did think someone else was more deserving this year (Munro could have taken it next year and I would have been thrilled for her!).

I really wanted to see Joyce Carol Oates win (she was one of the contenders). I wasn't expecting that to happen, so I guess I shouldn't be incredibly disappointed. Hopefully she'll have her turn soon. I've heard her speak a few times (in Princeton, Richmond, and NYC) and am always struck by how articulate and witty she is. I've read many of her books (she's written at least seventy-five, probably close to 100), and I am astounded by her consistent brilliance. In my opinion, she is the best American writer alive today. Yep, I went there, although I know what a bold claim it is. Best living American writer. And I'm standing by that statement. Go ahead and challenge me. I've been on a JCO kick lately; today I returned five of her novels to the library (I read a lot on my recent trip to and from Iowa) and checked out a few new ones. I can't get enough of her.

Anyway, congrats to Alice Munro.


EDITED TO ADD:
I'm going to try and post songs on here as often as possible, so here's today's. It's by Sigur Ros, a band about whom I cannot say enough good things. Recently a friend was complaining about a guy who's going to Iceland, and she was wondering why on earth he would want to go there. She said no one important is from Iceland. I countered by citing Sigur Ros, but she was clueless. Oh well. Songs like Svefn-G-Englar, Untitled #4, and this one, Hoppipolla, never fail to move me. I was reminded of Hoppipolla while watching the movie Penelope tonight.

Get Your Own Player!


No comments: