Saturday, July 14, 2007

" In New York freedom looks like too many choices. In New York I found a friend to drown out the other voices. Voices on the cell phone, voices from home, voices of the hard sell, voices down the stairwell. In New York, just got a place in New York.
In New York summers get hot, well into the hundreds. You can't walk around the block without a change of clothing. Hot as a hairdryer in your face, hot as a handbag and a can of mace. In New York, I just got a place in New York. New York, New York..." u2

You'll probably be subjected to NYC-related lyrics here for awhile.

Of course my last day as an official WW resident required a trip to the emergency room. Sigh. Just my luck. And it's going to take me forever to type this entry because my right arm is in a plaster splint-thing (it's like half a cast) and a sling for good measure, so it's useless for typing (and pretty much everything else). At least it's not my left arm (I'm left-handed). When I broke my left arm in middle school I felt like it was impossible for me to do anything for two months. Anyway, yesterday morning Josie bit my hand. She's 14, she's the sweetest dog in the world, and she's never bitten anyone before. She had a very sore leg, though, and she couldn't get down the deck's steps to get outside, so I picked her up and it must have hurt her leg, so she bit me (hard). It got infected; when I woke up this morning I couldn't bend my fingers at all, my whole hand throbbed, was red, and was incredibly swollen. So, as per the orders of Josie's vet and my doctor, I was off to the emergency room where I got to deal with a tetanus shot, x-rays, and lots of waiting. Actually, the hospital visit wasn't so bad. I'm a very strange person in that I like hospitals. I think it's because I worked in one for six years (the same one I went to today). The fact that I'm obsessed with Grey's Anatomy might be a contributing factor as well (or maybe I like the show because I like hospitals, I'm not sure). Hospitals feel safe and familiar to me. I didn't mind being back there today. Now I'm home, though, and I have to start packing for my move tomorrow (which was going to be difficult enough with the use of two arms). Ugh.

1 comment:

Heather said...

get well soon!!! I'm so sorry :(

and good luck with moving in!

BTW -- when you get a chance, I tagged you for a little game. See my spinster blog...