Friday, July 06, 2007

"I am colorblind, coffee black and egg white. Pull me out from inside. I am ready, I am ready, I am ready, I am...fine, I am.... fine, I am fine." ~counting crows

There might be some typos in this post because I can't see very well. I think I'm allowed to use the computer by now, and even if I'm not, I don't care. I'm way too dependent on it. I got Lasik surgery yesterday. The doctor said my vision will keep changing slowly for up to 2 months. Yesterday after the surgery I could hardly see anything. When I woke up this morning, though, the change was amazing. My vision is nowhere near perfect yet, but it's so much better than it was before the surgery. I was practically blind before. For those of you with contacts/glasses who know what this number means, my eyes were -8. That's pretty bad. I'm so glad I got the surgery, but it was slightly scary. They gave me Xanax, which didn't help my nerves much (it made me sleep after the surgery, though). They also gave me a squeeze toy to hold during the procedure; I got a panda, which is my favorite animal. One of the nurses said a lot of patients decapitate their toys or tear them apart, but I kept mine whole, so I guess I wasn't as nervous as some patients are. I was shaking, though. One of the technicians in the room asked me if I was cold; I wasn't cold at all, it was nerves. It was such a strange experience. First the doctor cut a flap in each eye. I could see him doing it, too. Then he lifted the flap of one eye at a time and used a laser to shave off part of the cornea (the laser only lasted about 50 seconds per eye, but I had to stay completely still and keep my eye focused on one spot during that time). When the flap of my eye was cut open and lifted up, I could still see, which was an unreal sensation. I couldn't see well, but I could see even without the top layer of my eye. How cool is that?!? The laser created a loud noise and a burning smell that was terrifying. When the doctor finished with the laser, he put the top of my eye back on again and smoothed it down with something that looked like a sponge, and I watched him. It's really impossible to describe, but it was very weird. The doctor had a video camera on his head or on the machine or something, and it was hooked up to a TV in a waiting room where my mom watched the whole thing. The nurse waiting with her was impressed; she said hardly anyone likes to watch. My mom saw the whole thing, though, and was completely unphased. She said the doctor held the flap of my eye open with a pointy object that looked like a needle (seeing the needle coming towards my eye was one of the scary parts for me) and she asked the nurse what would happen if the end of it pierced through the piece of eye that it was holding up; the nurse's only reply was, "That would be very, very bad." Hehe. Anyway, I survived and my eyes did as well. Hopefully they'll improve to the point where my vision is nearly perfect and I don't have to have any touch-ups.
That's all for now. I have other stuff to write about, but I'm not in the mood. I didn't sleep at all last night. I have to wear this ridiculous-looking shield over my eyes while I sleep for 10 nights, and it is incredibly uncomfortable. It also forces me to sleep on my back, which I really can't do. So I'll probably be sleep-deprived and crabby for the next couple of weeks.

No comments: