Saturday, August 13, 2005

“Stars, in your multitude, scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light, you are the sentinels, silent and sure, keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.” ~les miserables

I’m in a Les Miz mood. Want to hear something funny? I saw Ricky Martin in Les Miz, before he was famous. He was Marius. I discovered that while going through my Playbills awhile ago. I wish I remembered his performance. That was the first time I saw the show, though, which was when I was pretty young, so I can’t remember what I thought of him. And no one knew who he was then. I guess it's not so surprising; he seems like a sucker for tight pants.

All the boys are gone this weekend, so it’s just Perrine and I. Scott goes skiing every weekend (actually, every Wednesday through Sunday), so it’s not unusual that he’s gone. Rich and Matt went to Queenstown to go skiing this weekend; they invited me but I have too much work to do. I’m going skiing in two weeks, anyway. So it’s just the girls.

We went to Pizza Hut last night. Heh. I found that so strange, to be in a Pizza Hut halfway around the world. It seems like such an American institution. I would have preferred to eat at some local place, but they don’t have Pizza Hut in France and Perrine’s never been, so she wanted to go. It was actually a really good deal. We each paid about US$8 for all-you-can-eat from the salad bar, pizza bar, and dessert bar. I ate way too much. What I love here is that, when you’re in a restaurant/bar/etc., if the menu says something is, say, $10, that’s exactly how much you pay. No tax, no tip. It’s great.

I know I complain about how cold it is a lot, so I want to share this quote with you to prove that it’s not just me being a wimp. This is from the ‘Letter from the Editor’ in The Critic, the school’s weekly magazine. By the way, I’m sorry to say that it puts The Collegian to shame. Anyway, here’s the quote:
“Last year, a study found that the average temperature inside student flats was well below the level recommended by the World Health Organisation, was frequently colder than the outside temperature, and was often lower than 2 degrees – colder than the inside of your fridge.”

No comments: