Monday, August 15, 2005

"Somethin' filled up my heart with nothin', someone told me not to cry. But now that I'm older my heart's colder and I can see that it's a lie." ~the arcade fire

The Arcade Fire is one of the names floating around as an opener for the 3d leg of the U2 tour. I would absolutely love that, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I hate how all this work seems to sneak up on me and culminate in a crazy week of tests, papers, and projects. I've had no assignments for the past 6 weeks, and all of a sudden I have three due in one week. If I were better at staying on top of things and working ahead, it would be fine. But, like most college students, I'm a procrastinator. I turned in my education journal yesterday, and it was good to get that off my hands. For this week I still have to worry about a test on Thursday and a paper due on Friday.
Yesterday I went to talk to my English professor about the paper due on Friday. I talked to him for over an hour. I think that's the longest conversation I've had with anyone since I've been here. I've never felt completely comfortable going to any of my professors at Richmond; I usually come away from those meetings feeling stupid and even more confused than before. I don't know why this guy was so easy to talk to, but it really felt great to just be able to brainstorm and feed off of each other's ideas related to the poem I'm writing about. I still don't know how my essay will turn out, but I really needed that intellectual conversation. Strangely enough, he's American. It was nice to talk to another American. It made me feel at home.

No comments: