Monday, December 31, 2007

"If I was a flower growing wild and free, all I'd want is you to be my sweet honey bee. And if I was a tree growing tall and green, all I'd want is you to shade me and be my leaves." ~barry louis polisar

That song opens Juno, my favorite movie of the year (I've seen it in theaters three times already and it gets better each time). I love the music. Kimya Dawson does most of it.

So I made my list of the best movies of 2007 and the best albums of 2007, but I haven't posted a list of the best theatre shows of 2007. So here it is! Because 2007 was my first year as a Manhattan resident, and because my best friend works in the theatre industry and got lots of comp tickets, I was able to see more shows than ever before. Which was awesome. This list is made up of Broadway and Off-Broadway plays and musicals. 2007 was a crazy insane amazing year for new plays. I'm usually more of a musical person, but this year I was able to appreciate straight plays more than I ever have before. In fact, only one single musical made my list of the top 10. The plays were that good. Here's my list:

Best Theatre Shows of 2007:

1. August: Osage County
This is the front-runner for the Pulitzer Prize this year, as well as the Tony for best play. It is absolutely brilliant. If you are anywhere near New York, go see it now. It is a 3.5-hour marathon play that will knock your socks off. I cannot say enough positive things about it.
2. Rock 'N' Roll
A sweeping, epic, dense, intelligent play about the power of music.
3. Mauritius
Alison Pill and Bobby Canaavale give solid performances in this tense, exciting thriller about stamp collecting.
4. The Seafarer
Great writing (but of course you'd expect that from Conor McPherson), great ensemble acting, great production in general.
5. Pygmalion
I heart Claire Danes.
6. Speech and Debate
I'm so glad this Off-Broadway play is doing so well. It sold out its run and then extended, and it totally deserves all the success it's getting. A touching and hilarious look at three high school outcasts finding themselves through their unlikely friendship.
7. Is He Dead?
Norbert Leo Butz made Mark Twain's witty farce come alive.
8. 110 in the Shade
The only musical on my list! I am so thrilled that I was able to see Audra McDonald, a Broadway legend in the making, live on stage.
9. Cyrano De Bergerac
Kevin Kline was fabulous as Cyrano, and Jennifer Garner also shone in this production.
10. The Homecoming
I'm still trying to figure out Pinter's absurdist play. Ian McShane and Eve Best got it onto this list, though, because I loved them in it.

Happy New Year!

No comments: