Friday, December 14, 2007

"My friend assures me its all or nothing, but I am not really worried, I am not overly concerned. You try to tell yourself the things you try tell yourself to make yourself forget, to make yourself forget, I am not worried..." ~counting crows

So. That Sweeney Todd screening? Most poorly organized screening ever. We waited in line outside the building (while it was snowing) for awhile, were sent inside, were sent back outside, were brought in again, waited in the lobby upstairs packed like sardines and blocking the escalator coming up, stampeded to get in line outside the theater in which the film was being shown, and basically dealt with complete chaos for a couple of hours. The order of the line became completely rearranged in all of that chaos, and I didn't get in. I was pissed. After wasting well over two hours (including travel time), I decided I might as well see another movie (not a free screening) while I was there. So I went to go see No Country for Old Men, which I've been wanting to see for awhile. It won the season's first major award for best picture (from the National Board of Review) and received absolutely fabulous reviews, and all the accolades it's being granted are wholeheartedly deserved. It was fabulous. It was incredibly violent and sometimes scary and very suspenseful, and I'll probably be having nightmares about Javier Bardem for months. He gave what I think is the best portrayal of a villain I've ever seen. He terrified me (which is a good thing, because he completely embodied his character). He's the one to beat in the Oscar race for best supporting actor, and this is the movie to beat for best picture. Considering that this (in my opinion) is a season with an unusually large number of great movies, that's saying a lot. If you don't like a lot of blood and violence, be prepared to cover your eyes a lot, but if you can stomach it, the movie is well worth your time and money. The Coen brothers are amazing, and they strike again.

No comments: