Saturday, December 22, 2007

"These lines of lightning mean we're never alone, never alone." ~counting crows

This will be my last post before December 27th. Tomorrow morning we're leaving for the coast of Texas, where my grandparents from Iowa are living for the winter (they don't have a computer, so I can't post from there). It should be warmer there than it is here, which will be nice. Today the four of us (my parents, my brother, and I) are celebrating Christmas on our own. This morning we did stockings (mine was full of lots of yummy chocolate, Sea Wolf's amazing CD Leaves in the River, and a Jamba Juice gift card) and tonight we're having a nice dinner and opening presents. Celebrating two Christmases isn't bad.

Last night I met my parents, brother, aunt, uncle, and cousins for dinner in the city; it was a lot of fun. I love my cousins. I came home to NJ with my parents last night. This morning I took my mom to see Sweeney Todd (finally). I loved it. Johnny Depp was fabulous. Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman were also very good. Tim Burton definitely deserved the Director of the Year award he got from the National Board of Review. It was a faithful adaptation of the stage show. I did miss the songs "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" ("Attend the Tale") and "Kiss Me," but I realize that a lot more of the music could have been cut. It was very bloody and gory, but I agree with Tim Burton that the blood and violence are necessary. I love the juxtaposition of the heartbreakingly beautiful music and the throat slashing, especially prominent during my favorite song, "Johanna." The movie wasn't as good as John Doyle's Broadway revival, but nothing can touch that production to me. Tim Burton did a pretty darn good job.

No comments: