Monday, December 17, 2007

"Hold ourselves together with our arms around the stereo for hours, la la la la la la la. While it sings to itself or whatever it does, when it sings to itself of its long lost loves, I’m getting tied, I’m forgetting why." ~the national

I listed my top movies of 2007, so now it's time to list my top albums of 2007. This is a completely subjective list. And it was nearly impossible to narrow the field down to five. But I did my best.
For my list of the best films I couldn't place them in order. For some reason, that's easier for me to do with this list. I can easily say that Boxer is the best album of the year. No contest in my opinion. Here's my list:

The Best Albums of 2007
1. The National - Boxer
2. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
3. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
4. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
5. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

The only band on that list I haven't seen live is The Shins, and hopefully I'll get to see them sometime soon.

I'll leave you with Boxer, which I believe is by far the best album of the year. Have a listen. Or a few listens. One thing I love about this album is that it gets better every time I hear it. There were a few songs that I wasn't crazy about the first time around ("Squalor Victoria" jumps to mind) but that I absolutely love now. That's the best kind of music, the kind whose brilliance slowly sinks in. "Apartment Story" is my favorite track, and I didn't think it was anything special at first, but now it blows me away (it provides this post's opening quote).
free music

No comments: