Sunday, December 16, 2007

"Closing time, time for you to go out, go out into the world." ~semisonic

Because 2007 is drawing to a close, I feel it is time to assess the year in films. I have put together my list of the best films of the year. Obviously I can only include movies that I've seen, so I'm probably missing some worthy contenders that may cause me to change my list soon (Sweeney Todd, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, There Will be Blood, etc.). My top five are listed in alphabetical order, as are my five honorable mentions (it's too difficult to actually rank them).

Best Films of 2007:

Atonement
Juno
No Country for Old Men
Once
The Savages

Honorable Mention:
Charlie Wilson's War
Enchanted
Frost/Nixon
Knocked Up
Michael Clayton

Actually, I'm not sure if Frost/Nixon counts. It's not even up on rotten tomatoes yet and it doesn't open until next year. But I saw it this year, so I'm including it.
I've written about most of those films in this blog, but maybe I'll put together a compilation of mini-reviews. If I have time. Or feel like procrastinating.

Today was a busy (but good) day. This morning I went to see Atonement, which I loved. I thought it was a very good adaptation of the novel. I loved all the period details in the film. And even though I knew the outcome, I cried harder than I've cried during a movie since Million Dollar Baby.
This afternoon, Nic and I went to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. She got comps. I haven't been since I was eight years old, and it was a fun experience. I wish I had the legs of a Rockette.
Tonight Christin and I went to a Christmas concert at a church; one of her friends was singing in the choir. The music was beautiful, and afterwards we went to a party at her friend's apartment. I met some new people and had a very good time. I got home after midnight, though, and now I'm starting to get tired. It's off to bed I go.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hey Claire-- I can't wait to see "Atonement" and "Juno," so I'm glad you liked them. I saw "Enchanted" over the weekend and thought it was cute. When will you be in WW? We should hang out at some point.