Sunday, April 02, 2006

"From way up on your cloud, where you've been hiding out, are you getting somewhere? Or did you get lost in Amsterdam?" ~guster

My dad is being considered for a big promotion that would send him to Amsterdam for at least 3 years. He wants to know what I think, and I’m not sure what to say. I go to school here in the U.S. for most of the year, I’ll be working in the U.S. this summer, and after I graduate next year I’ll live in NYC. Basically I’m very tied to the U.S. So the main consequence for me of my dad taking that new job would be not seeing my parents as much. I guess I’d go to Amsterdam for breaks and holidays, but I wouldn’t really be living there. I think I’d miss my parents a lot. I think I take them for granted. I take it for granted that I can easily go home to them any time I want. We’d probably sell our house here in the U.S., which is hard for me to grasp. I know this is such a superficial concern, but what would I do with all my stuff? (I have lots of stuff). But my parents would probably be happy in Amsterdam. It would mean lots of traveling for my dad, to the States, Europe, and Asia. My mom could easily travel with him because both their kids won’t be living with them and she doesn’t work. My parents are big travelers. For the first three years of my life I lived with them in Cote D’Ivoire (aka the Ivory Coast, in west Africa). They met while they were in the Peace Corps in Cameroon. We go on tons of crazy vacations all over the world (the last one was Turkey). So they love adventure. This new job is only a possibility right now; there are two other people being considered for it and my dad wouldn’t have to accept it even if it were offered to him. But I can’t help thinking about it. I guess it would be an interesting change. I’ll be praying for an outcome that will make everyone happy.

I've been working on my research paper for my English seminar (the Negro as an Invisible Man) all day and have basically accomplished nothing. I hate that. Where does the time go?

No comments: