Monday, March 05, 2007

"Its not time to make a change, just relax, take it easy. You're still young, thats your fault, there's so much you have to know..." ~cat stevens

I took a break from listening to my new albums and pulled out an old one. A really old one. I decided it was time to go back to Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman. My dad used to play it all the time when I was little, and I would sing along. I knew pretty much all of the words to all of the songs by the time I was 8 years old. I remember my dad's best friend/business partner asking me what I wanted for Christmas one year, and I told him that I wanted CDs. He asked which CDs, and I told him that I wanted a Cat Stevens CD and Mariah Carey's Music Box. I remember that moment so clearly. He thought it was a pretty funny combination. Most 8 year olds aren't into artists like Cat Stevens. I have my dad to thank for my range in musical taste. I haven't listened to Tea for the Tillerman for awhile. It made me cry; I loved hearing it again. I challenge you to listen to "Father and Son" without tearing up. Or maybe I'm just weird. Anyway, it was nice to get all nostalgic and listen to such a beautiful album.
I still don't know what to think about Cat Stevens changing his name to Yusuf Islam, becoming a fundamentalist Muslim, supporting terrorist groups, and urging for the execution of Salman Rushdie (one of my favorite writers). He's become a pretty shady character. I do know that he's a wonderful musician, though. I don't understand how someone can write such meaningful and inspiring lyrics and music and then turn into such a radical, fundamentalist, seemingly crazy person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I surely wouldn't believe everything Stephen Schwartz has to say. He is a far right-wing neo-con fanatic with a right wing agenda.

Now, as for Yusuf Islam. He came out with a beautiful new album last November, "An Other Cup". It has alot of beautiful songs on it. He has given concerts and played some of his old Cat Stevens stuff. He performed at the Nobel Peace Prize Concert this past December and also came to the USA (NYC) this past December and performed a concert. He is as peaceful as always, and definintly doesn't support terrorism or terrorists.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q7iLPnDCQ1g

He has a wonderful son, who has recorded a great album. Put "Yoriyos" in Google and the link for his myspace is there. There are three great songs on the site. Yoriyos is hardly the son of a religious fanatic!

Claire said...

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I have read some things about Yusuf Islam that I don't know if I can simply pass off as biased journalism (such as his advocation of killing Salman Rushdie), but I guess I still shouldn't be so quick to judge him based on what I've read. I haven't heard his new album but have heard good things about it and will check it out. I do love his music. I'll have to give his son a listen as well!