Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"Hold me in the river 'til my skin turns blue. Slap me on the back and say, 'Now how do you do?'" ~brakes

Happy birthday to my dear Josie. She's getting to be an old lady; today she turns 14. I miss her. My mom made her a birthday cake and of course she loved it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In the past few days I've gotten to read 90 essays on Lord of the Flies. The kids took their test on the novel on Monday, and one component was turning in an essay that they wrote outside of class. The average test score was a 60-something percent, which is failing according to the school's grading system. And that average doesn't even take into account the students who got zeros because they plagiarized their essays. I really don't like giving kids zeros, but I can't believe what some of them thought they could get away with. A few of them simply copied and pasted a whole chunk of writing from sparknotes, didn't add any of their own words at all, and somehow thought I wouldn't notice. Seriously? Do they really think I'm that stupid? Arg. It's frustrating.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Aww, Claire -- I'm sorry. That's no fun. Hang in there. At least you caught them, and so maybe they'll get the wake-up call they need?...