Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"But I can't help the feeling I could blow through the ceiling if I just turn and run, and it wears me out, it wears me out, it wears me out, it wears me out. And if I could be who you wanted, if I could be who you wanted, all the time, all the time, ohhh...ohh..." ~radiohead

I went to go hear Joyce Carol Oates speak last night and she was freakin' fantastic. She's so funny, and her sense of humor comes across much more strongly when you're listening to her speak rather than simply reading her writing. I got her to sign another book for me, too.

One of my students wrote this. He's failing English class, yet he has this incredibly long, dense philosophical piece published online. Read it. I don't agree with everything he says, but I seriously can't believe he's such a talented writer and is failing English. The kid is brilliant.

2 comments:

Heather said...

wow - I haven't finished reading it yet, but wow.

Claire said...

I know, right? Wow. I really have no other words.

Today he asked me if I had read it yet, and I had to admit that it was taking me awhile to get through. I don't even know what to say to him about it; today I said I know he definitely put a lot of thought and effort into it and he's a very good writer. Is it awful that my student intimidates me and that his writing is ten times better than mine will ever be, and yet I'm the one who's supposed to be teaching him?