Sunday, March 04, 2007

"Have you come here for forgiveness? Have you come to raise the dead? Have you come here to play Jesus, to the lepers in your head?" ~u2

So I want to talk about the song "One." Here are my random thoughts that I want to get out:
1. I think it's funny that it's the song on Achtung Baby that Brian Eno hated the most and yet it went on to become the most popular song from the album.
2. I don't really like the album version of the song. It sounds unfinished to me. I much prefer the live version. The Edge goes into this beautiful, soaring guitar melody when they perform it live, whereas on the album version, the guitar part is just so boring and repetitive. I keep waiting for Edge to take off and go crazy on his guitar, and he never does. I can't listen to the studio version anymore.
Random related comment: Bono has often talked about the fact that he feels like many U2 songs are unfinished on the albums and that they get to finish them every night in concert, and I love that idea.
3. Bono has made this point before as well, and I agree with him: Why on earth do people play this song at weddings and funerals?? When people tell Bono that they used it at some such event, he has said that his reaction is, "Are you crazy?!" The Edge has said something similar: "I often come across people who've told me they played it at their wedding and I think, 'Have you listened to the lyrics? It's not that kind of a song.'" It is not a happy song. It's about conflict. The band has never specifically explained the exact details behind the lyrics (actually, they've given different explanations at different times), but the most common theories are that it's about a really hard break-up, a disagreement between a father and his gay, HIV-positive son, the turmoil in Northern Ireland, clashes between East and West Germany, struggles within the band, and Bono's relationship with his father (which is how I've always interpreted it). At any rate, it's about struggle. It has now come to represent Bono's One Campaign to Make Poverty History. It is NOT a song about happy people.
4. I can't describe what it's like to be in Madison Square Garden and hear the opening chords to "One" as Bono begins his speech about the One Campaign. He tells everyone to take out their cell phones and text their names to the One Campaign, and the Garden becomes a sea of lights. It's absolutely beautiful. Then the band bursts into song and it's just amazing. Here's a picture I took from the first U2 concert I attended that doesn't do the experience justice:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So what was the point of all that rambling? I'm not sure. I guess it was because I get frustrated when people misinterpret the song. Because it really is so beautiful and meaningful if you take the time and energy to listen to what it's saying.

Last night was what I thought would be a perfect time to do laundry. I mean, who else would be doing laundry on the Friday night before spring break begins? Apparently everyone. I have never seen the laundry room as crowded as it was last night; I had to wait forever for a washer. Everyone else had the same idea that I did and figured it was a perfect time. There were a LOT of people around last night, which surprised me. It was quieter today, though. I think a lot of people left this morning.
I'm a loner, so I don't mind having the apartment to myself (not that I don't love my roommates, because I do, and I'll be glad to have them back in a week). Today was a lazy day; I lounged around, went shopping, and didn't get much work done. It was nice. Tomorrow I'll have to buckle down and do some serious planning, though.
At the beginning of the semester, my cooperating teacher told me she'd need to see my lesson plans a week in advance. That lasted less than a week. Now she never looks at my plans at all. In the morning she'll say something like, "So, what are you teaching today?" I always end up planning my lessons at the last minute, which is what she does. It's probably not the best habit to get into.

I watched The Prestige tonight. I loved it. I love movies that make you think. Christopher Nolan is frakkin' brilliant; he's such a talented writer/director. I'm very proud of myself; I came so close to figuring out the "twist" before it was revealed. I don't want to give away the ending to people who haven't seen it yet, so I won't explain what I guessed and when I guessed it. I highly recommend the film; it's got a great cast (Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Piper Perabo, David Bowie), is superbly written and directed, has great cinematography...overall it's very well made.

No comments: