Friday, March 23, 2007

"I don't care if it hurts, I wanna have control. I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul." ~radiohead

Yeah, I'm posting again, less than an hour after my last post. On a Friday night. Because I'm that cool.

I don't know how time passes so quickly sometimes. For the past couple of hours I've sat at my computer, not paying attention to the time at all, and now I have no idea where all that time went. I've been reading speculation about the upcoming Harry Potter book and have been listening to Radiohead covers. Damien Rice has a great version of "Creep" (quoted above). Another favorite is KT Tunstall's version of "Fake Plastic Trees." Anyway, I just get lost so easily in stuff like that. When I get home from school every day, I'm absolutely drained. I don't feel like going out and making an effort to socialize. So instead I hide away on my computer, letting music drift through my head, or curl up with a book.

I've been able to get some pleasure reading done lately. I finished Joyce Carol Oates's Blonde a couple of weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it. Reading Oates reminds me why I will never be a writer. She's such a master of language; I could never manipulate words like she does.
Today I finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. It seemed like it had received so much buzz that I had to see what all the fuss was about. I wasn't that impressed. It was okay, the story was good, but the writing wasn't stellar and the characters fell a little flat. I was a little disappointed.
Today I started reading Kazuo Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans. Along with Oates, Ishiguro is another one of our most talented contemporary writers. I've read two of his novels, The Remains of the Day (which won the Booker Prize) and Never Let Me Go, both of which are wonderful. Ishiguro is such a master of subtlety.

5 comments:

Heather said...

hey, dear heart! you do know that Oates is coming to talk Monday night at 7pm, right? Can you make it? I've never read any of her stuff (I don't think...) but I want to try and plow through one this weekend... so she can sign it (ha)... want to go? let me know!

and hang in there w/ teaching... I can't even imagine how draining that is. Just remember, there is nothing wrong with taking some time to vedge. Seriously. You deserve it, and need it, and so if you beat yourself up about it, that's just silly! :)

Claire said...

Yes, I did know that and I do want to go! I've heard her speak before and she's just so interesting. Maybe you and I can actually see each other once this semester! Which book are you going to try this weekend? I've only read 4 or 5 of hers, but they're all great. She has so many.

Thanks, Heather. :-)

Heather said...

Sadly, I didn't get to any fun reading this weekend... tried to have a slight bit of a life AND write my Spanish research paper (still working on that one...). So I think I may just pick up one that sounds interesting so I can maybe get her to sign it, and then read it later!

I have tutoring until 6pm, and then I am going to grab a bite to eat really quick (Ukrops?) and head to the Jepson center (apparently the seats go super-fast). Want to meet up? Call my cell, ok? It would be great to see you!

Hope you had a good weekend :) back to Spanish...

Claire said...

Yes, we should definitely meet up! I'll probably try to get to the Alumni Center pretty early (maybe by 6:30? Is that early enough?). I guess we can just meet there? I'll save you a seat if I'm there first.

Heather said...

yay! see you there :)