Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"All of your ways and all your thunder got me in a haze running for cover. Where we gonna go from here? Where we we gonna go from here?" ~mat kearney

Let's see...what to write about? Yesterday the kids in one class gave me a lot of trouble, mostly because they were furious with me for giving them new assigned seats. This one girl absolutely hates me...I've mentioned her before. She came close to throwing a tantrum in class. She said she's never had to do this much work before in her whole life. Then she said that she hasn't read any of Lord of the Flies (our current book, which they should have finished by now) and that she isn't going to read it at all. She said it like she was insulting me, like she expected me to start crying and pleading with her to read. She doesn't understand that she's only hurting herself by not reading it. My supervising teacher always makes me feel better by providing a sarcastic comment about whatever is bothering me when I complain to her, which helps. Still, sometimes I don't know what to do with some of these kids. I really, really want them to do well. I want them to read and understand and enjoy what they read. And I want them to like me. I know all of that isn't possible, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The girl who won't read was much better today, though. She asked me questions about what happens in the book (she knows I know she hasn't read any of it) and actually seemed to pay attention.

After school I went to SP Mall to walk around because it was such a beautiful day outside. I saw one of my kids working in American Eagle, which was only slightly awkward. When I got back on campus, I spent 3 hours at the CMC cranking out a Lord of the Flies test. Tests are not easy to write. I now sympathize with all of my old teachers. Seriously, writing a test is so much more difficult and time-consuming than taking one. And the prospect of grading 90 of them? Ugh.

Congrats to my wonderful friend Adrian, who won the Quest Competition! I'm so happy for her. Here she is, looking as studious as ever:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Adrian is actually incredibly smart and I love her to death.
I don't think she reads this...Adrian, if you're reading, I apologize for sharing the above photo; feel free to yell at me and make me remove it. Love ya.

No comments: