Thursday, December 25, 2008

"I want to roll around like a kid in the snow. I want to re-learn what I already know. Just let me take flight, dressed in red, through the night, on a great big sled. I want to wish you merry Christmas, Ho Ho Ho." the killers

Merry Christmas!

My arrival yesterday went okay. My mom and I seem fine now, after some arguing and lots of crying. Last night my mom, brother, and I went to the 11:00pm church service. My mom played in the bell choir and my brother read a passage. I got to see lots of church friends whom I haven't seen in a long time, and it felt good to be there and spend time with them. My family and a few other families with kids around the ages of my brother and me are pretty close, so it felt like a big family reunion because we were all there. It was extra special because after the service, as we walked out of the church at 12:30am on Christmas morning, my friend's boyfriend stopped on the church steps and proposed to her. We (all the families) were gathered around, her family members had cameras out (they knew), and it was an incredibly sweet moment. She said yes, of course. I've known her since we were both really little and I'm so happy for her. My mom knew he was going to propose for at least a week and she managed to keep it a secret, which is impressive for her. My friend Alex and I stood together, happy for the friend we've had for many, many years, and also very aware of the fact that we're grown up now. Neither of us is anywhere near ready to settle down, but those around us are; another church friend who is our age (well, a year older than I am), is pregnant right now. It's very weird to think about.

My family and I had a wonderful Christmas morning. we sat around eating homemade cinnamon buns and opening presents. The best gift I received was tickets to see Guys and Dolls on Broadway (starring Lauren Graham, my favorite actress). I also got a great new digital camera. I'm looking forward to seeing my aunt, uncle, and cousins who are coming from NYC for Christmas dinner with us. The family of the girl who got engaged last night is joining us for dessert, so we'll have a nice gathering. I have a lot to be thankful for.

My family this morning (I think we might also be using this as our Christmas photo; we're a little behind schedule with that):

No comments: