Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Have you ever seen a one trick pony in the field so happy and free? If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me. Have you ever seen a one-legged dog making its way down the street? If you've ever seen a one-legged dog then you've seen me.
Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door. Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before. Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the floor. Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more? Tell me can you ask for anything more?
Have you ever seen a scarecrow filled with nothing but dust and wheat? If you've ever seen that scarecrow then you've seen me. Have you ever seen a one-armed man punching at nothing but the breeze? If you've ever seen a one-armed man then you've seen me.
Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door. Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before. Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the floor. Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more? Tell me can you ask for anything more?
These things that have comforted me, I drive away. This place that is my home I cannot stay. My only faith's in the broken bones and bruises I display.
Have you ever seen a one-legged man trying to dance his way free? If you've ever seen a one-legged man then you've seen me." ~bruce springsteen

In the last two days I went to three movies. I saw Doubt, Hotel for Dogs, and The Wrestler. Some quick thoughts:

I did enjoy Doubt, despite my reservations. I'm still digesting it so I can't really say much. I feel like Meryl Streep's character was inconsistent, but that may be John Patrick Shanley's fault (or Scott Rudin's). I didn't see the degrees of doubt in her that needed to be portrayed. In one article Meryl speaks about a scene that she wanted to have cut (a scene that wasn't in the play). She had "knock-down, drag-out fights" to have it cut. She says, "To me it destroys part of Sister Aloysius's doubt about what she has done. And that was hard for me." So maybe it wasn't her fault that I had problems with her character. At any rate, I liked the movie for the most part.

The Wrestler was fabulous. Mickey Rourke is getting so much buzz for his performance that you would think there's no way he can actually live up to the hype, but he does. I cannot say enough good things about him in this film. He really is Randy "the Ram" Robinson. I don't want to post spoilers or else I would write more, because I have so much to say, but I don't want to give anything away. Go see it, though; it's such a beautiful film. It doesn't matter if you don't like wrestling; it's really not about that, it's about a man struggling to find meaning in his life and looking for someone or something to hold on to. I'll post the trailer again just because it's so good. Bruce Springsteen's song "The Wrestler" also plays over the closing credits, and it breaks my heart every time I listen to it.

No comments: