Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"And when i see you, I really see you upside down. But my brain knows better; it picks you up and turns you around, turns you around, turns you around." ~death cab for cutie

I'm trying to learn that song on the guitar, but it's a little trickier than it seems. That's always the case. The tabs look so easy, and then when I try to play it, it doesn't sound right at all. One of the problems is that the guitar is supposed to be tuned slightly differently for that song but I've been too lazy to tune it that way.

Monday was the Areopagus dinner with the English faculty members. There were four students (including me) and five faculty members. It actually wasn't as akward as I thought it might be. We went to Bottoms Up and talked about...normal things. It's always nice to receive conformation that teachers and professors are normal people. They watch movies, have families, are "from" somewhere...who'd a thunk it? :-D

It was 87 degrees on Monday, and it was lovely. I wish it would stay that way. Unfortunately it's already gotten cold again.

Today I had lunch with a prospective student staying with one of my friends. I took her to the place where she had a meeting scheduled because it was convenient for me to take her there. I kept trying to talk to her but she was sooo shy and unresponsive, so I figured she wanted space and was silent for awhile. Then as we were walking, she said, "I'm sorry I keep providing monosyllabic answers. I'm just really nervous and homesick." And I think she cried a little. I had no idea what to do. I had this overwhelming desire to give her a huge hug, but I couldn't. I absolutely love hugs, but I'm not good at giving them. Especially to people I've only known for only about 15 minutes. I wish I had been able to comfort her, but I'm afraid I wasn't much help. I just started talking, telling her I got homesick too and then trying to distract her by talking about what I felt about Richmond. I was at a loss. I wish I knew how to handle situations like that. I'm not very good at communicating with people; I wish I had better people skills. I'm so akward sometimes. I love people, I love studying them and listening to them, but I'm not good at interacting with them.

I realize that I spend so much time waiting. Waiting for the weekend, waiting to find out what I'll be doing this summer, waiting to graduate, waiting to move to NYC, waiting to find my soulmate and start a family...but I'm afraid I spend too much time thinking about the future. I need to appreciate what I have now instead of anticipating what's next. I'm going to try to work on that. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: