Sunday, November 14, 2010

"Now the world can be an unfair place at times. But your lows will have their compliment of highs. And if anyone should cheat you, take advantage of or beat you, raise your head and wear your wounds with pride." ~yeasayer

I first saw Yeasayer perform live a few years ago, when they opened for The National in Central Park and not many people knew who they were. I could tell they were something special.

I'm quite behind on movie reviews. I don't think I've written about The Social Network (and that was ages ago), Unstoppable (I also saw that a long time ago, at a screening), Red, Conviction, Morning Glory, and now 127 Hours. Oh, and Love and Other Drugs, but I signed a waiver so I don't think I'm allowed to write about that one yet. These are going to be short reactions because I don't have a whole lot of time. I'm skipping The Social Network because all I need to say is that it's amazing and most people have already seen it, anyway.

Unstoppable: This is really good for what it is. It's an action movie and it's a suspenseful, well-paced one with some cool stunts and good acting from Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. This is classic Tony Scott.

Red: A whole lotta fun. It's hilarious, action-packed, and features a great ensemble (made up of Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, and Morgan Freeman).

Conviction: The performances made this for me. Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell are great as always, but it was the supporting cast that really stood out to me. Juliette Lewis is riveting in her very small amount of screen time. Clea DuVall, Mini Driver, Peter Gallagher, Melissa Leo, and Ari Graynor are also solid. The screenplay is really weak, but the performances really saved it for me. I need to say one more time that Juliette Lewis is brilliant. Seriously.

Morning Glory: Rachel McAdams is charming, and Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton are also quite good, but this wasn't anything special.

127 Hours: I think this one will get an Oscar nod for best picture. Danny Boyle is on a roll. Seriously, he is one talented director. He manages to keep you interested, even though practically the whole movie takes place in one tiny space. It's really fascinating. It's beautifully shot; I love the way that light is used. I love the soundtrack. And I love, love, love James Franco. Go see this.
(Click the full screen button on the bottom right corner of the trailer so you can avoid the stuff covering it here.)

No comments: