Saturday, November 06, 2010

"And I don't know whose baby you are. No, I don't know whose baby you are. No, I don't know whose baby you are. If we didn't have to worry about money we'd be all right. If we didn't have to worry about money we'd be all right. If we didn't have to worry about money we'd be all right." ~roadside graves

That's from a song released earlier this year called "Liv Tyler." I love it.

On Thursday Nic and I saw Angels in America: Millennium Approaches (part 1) at the Signature Theatre. We subscribed to the theatre's season just so we could ensure that we got tickets for this show, because it's just such a brilliant play. I have the HBO miniseries and I love it, but I was too young to catch the play when it originated on Broadway. It's a seven-hour play so it's split into two parts, and we're seeing part 2 (Perestroika) later this month, so these comments are just related to part 1. I really enjoyed this production. It's a very small space, so it feels intimate, but the production elements are still impressive. Even though I knew the angel was coming at the end, I was still taken aback by her appearance. Acting-wise, I thought Zachary Quinto gave the most impressive performance. Who knew the villain from the TV show Heroes (he was the villain, right?) could turn into such a complex, sensitive, heartbroken, angry gay man? Well, I actually wasn't surprised at how wonderful he was (I've been a fan for awhile), but some people might be. Christian Borle was fine, Zoe Kazan was fine, Billy Porter was fine, Frank Wood and Bill Heck were very good...it's just such a thrill to see this groundbreaking play performed onstage.

Angels In America - Signature Theatre Trailer from Signature Theatre Company on Vimeo.

Tomorrow Nic and I are seeing The Pee-Wee Herman Show on Broadway, starring Pee-Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) himself. I've never actually seen any of his shows (at least not that I remember). It should be interesting, though.

No comments: