Saturday, November 11, 2006

"One love, One blood, One life, You got to do what you should. One life, with each other, sisters, brothers. One life, but were not the same. We get to carry each other, carry each other. One. One." ~u2

Okay, so I want to talk about Bank of America's butchering of U2's "One." Have you seen this?? If not, here's a link (beware if you've eaten recently).

"We'll live out our core values while the competition crawls..." *VOMIT*

I don't even know what to say. Do the recognize the irony in what they're doing?? Here's my friend Tiff's reaction, because she says it better than I probably could:

"Changing the lyrics of a song (that benefits AIDS research) about world unification and turning it into an anthem for corporate competition! Just...how uncomfortable! How did that guy get so "into" the song? He was wailing like he meant it! I'm no Commie and I am something of a shopaholic, but no one should be that passionate about credit cards. No one. "

I just think it's disrespectful because of all the meaning behind the original song and everything that it stands for. At concerts on the Vertigo tour, U2 always began "One" with Bono's speech about ending extreme poverty and his plea to President Bush to "put mankind back on earth." The song represents the One Campaign to make poverty history. And Bank of America decides to turn the song into a stupid little corporate plug about credit cards (with really bad lyrics). It just pisses me off. That's all for now.

No comments: