Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"On the radio, we heard November Rain. That solo's really long, but it's a pretty song. We listened to it twice, 'Cause the DJ was asleep. This is how it works, you're young until you're not, you love until you don't, you try until you can't, you laugh until you cry, you cry until you laugh. And everyone must breathe until their dying breath." ~regina spektor

I'm really into Regina Spektor right now. She has such a unique sound, and I love that. You can definitely see hints of other artists (Ani DiFranco), but the music still doesn't sound like any one artist that's out there.

I've been thinking about the fact that all my favorite musicians are males. If I had to list my favorite artists/groups, I would include the following:
U2, Counting Crows, Damien Rice, The Killers, The Strokes, The Arcade Fire, Carbon Leaf, Dashboard Confessional, Bright Eyes, Joe Purdy, David Garza, DMB....those are the main ones. And they're all males. There are two females in Damien Rice's band and in The Arcade Fire, but I wouldn't call them the focal points of either band. They're not really even essential, although I hate to say that. So I think it's good that I'm listening to Regina Spektor, because I try to listen to a wide variety of music. I like Maria Taylor a lot, and Kendall Payne, and Joni Mitchell, and Alanis Morrissette, but they're not up there with the guys in my list of favorites. I'm not sure whether I just prefer male artists (and I wonder why, if that is the case) or if there are just more talented male artists than females.

I'm convinced that there has been a curse placed on famous blondes recently. They cannot manage to maintain their marriages. Think about it: in the past two years, the following young women have all gotten divorced:
Renee Zellweger (actually an annulment, but I'd say that counts), Jessica Simpson, Kate Hudson, Reese Witherspoon, and now Briteny Spears. There are probably more, but these are the ones that immediately came to my mind.
How many Hollywood blondes can you name that are in successful marriages? Probably not too many. Aspiring blonde actresses, beware; your love life appears to be doomed.

No comments: