Saturday, May 17, 2014

"When the earth was still flat, and the clouds made of fire, and mountains stretched up to the sky, sometimes higher, folks roamed the earth like big rolling kegs. They had two sets of arms, they had two sets of legs, they had two faces peering out of one giant head so they could watch all around them as they talked, while they read. And they never knew nothing of love, it was before the origin of love." ~stephen trask (from Hedwig and the Angry Inch)




I just saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway, and oh my goodness, it was so wonderful. Neil Patrick Harris is fantastic. I think he's the frontrunner to win the Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical, and I'd love to see him win. The show is about 90 minutes long with no intermission, and he pours so much energy into every single second of those 90 minutes. If you're not familiar with the plot, NPH plays Hedwig, who grew up in East Berlin and had a botched surgery in which she changed her gender from male to female so she could marry an American soldier and escape to America.  Hedwig tells her story as she performs with her band (The Angry Inch). The show features a fabulous score, and it's very moving. Click above and you can hear NPH singing "The Origin of Love" in the show.

Here's one more number for your listening pleasure: "Wig in a Box." I can't wait to see what the perform at the Tonys.




One more thing I'm loving right now. I didn't think I'd get emotional during Christina's goodbye episode, but I totally did (yes, I still watch Grey's). How perfect is this? I love the throwback to the first season (which I can't believe was ten years ago) with this song.





No comments: