Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Counting Crows were on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night. They performed "Round Here."

Let me talk about why I love Counting Crows so much. Every time you see them live, you see a completely different performance. First of all, they vary their setlists, which I love (that's something U2 needs to seriously work on). Second of all, they have a few songs that sound like completely different songs every time you hear them. "Round Here," "A Murder of One" (my favorite song of theirs, the song that inspired my tattoo), "Goodnight Elisabeth," and "Rain King" could each be anywhere between six and 20 minutes long depending on what the band decides to do that night. I was at one show where they played a version of "Goodnight Elisabeth" that was 17 minutes long. It was absolutely gorgeous. They throw in alts from other songs and build this incredible, complex piece of music that will take your breath away and will feel like it simultaneously lasted an instant and an eternity. "Round Here" is an old song (I can't believe August and Everything After was released more than 20 years ago), but it keeps evolving. Check out this snapshot from my iTunes library:

You can see on the bottom of the image that I have 46 versions of "Round Here" on my computer (and I have more on CDs that aren't imported onto my computer). They last a total of over seven hours. I could listen to different versions of "Round Here" play for over seven hours and never hear the same version twice. Notice that the time of each is different. There are more when you keep scrolling; you can't see it in this screenshot, but the longest is 15 minutes. My bootleg collection is minuscule; if someone had every recorded version of the song, it would show even more variations. The version of the song that the band played on LNWSM last night was relatively short, but it was a good one. And Adam looks good. I've had lots of good encounters with him (when he accidentally stepped on my foot after doing an awkward "how do we get around each other?" dance, when I accidentally got a handful of his dreadlocks when he stood up after picking up his mic, when I met him after a Letterman appearance)....I basically adore him, and I'm excited to see the band in Central Park this summer. I have no idea what I'll hear, but I can't wait.

Here's what I think is my favorite picture I've taken of AD (lots more here).


No comments: