Friday, June 08, 2012

"This is how it works, you're young until you're not, you love until you don't, you try until you can't. You laugh until you cry, you cry until you laugh, and everyone must breathe until their dying breath.
No, this is how it works. You peer inside yourself, you take the things you like, and try to love the things you took. And then you take that love you made, and stick it into some, someone else's heart, pumping someone else's blood. And walking arm in arm, you hope it don't get harmed. But even if it does, you'll just do it all again." ~regina spektor

My jury duty was cut short, so I didn't have as much time on free wifi as I had hoped. But I'm at the library now, ready to post! I'll write about the recent Regina Spektor concert I went to, and I'll post my predictions for the Tony Awards.

Last week I went to a Regina Spektor concert that aired live on NPR's website (video) and on various public radio stations (audio). I went with my friend Bill, and we got a fabulous spot in the front row. I seriously could have reached out and touched Regina's piano. It was a small, intimate show (even though there were cameras all around because the concert was being broadcast). I enjoyed it very much. The show was to promote Regina's new album, What We Saw From the Cheap Seats. I didn't have the album yet (it had only been released two days before), so I was eager to hear some of the new songs and to see Regina perform some of my favorites. I love her album Begin to Hope, and I was thrilled to hear her perform the hits from that record. She sang all my favorites ("Samson," "On the Radio," "Fidelity," "Better"). Here are some videos from the live broadcast (they're my favorites, especially "On the Radio" and "Samson"):

"On the Radio" (Of course she had to play this):

"Fidelity":

"Better":

"Samson" (This is such a beautiful, beautiful song, and it's perfect as a closer):

"Ain't No Cover" (this was the first song she did, and she cursed a bunch at the beginning to get it out of her system before going on the air because she couldn't curse on the radio, but she didn't realize she was already live. NPR immediately issued a parental advisory warning.):


There are videos of the whole show on this very, very kind person's youtube feed. I'm really happy they took the time to record and upload the show, because NPR still hasn't posted the archived version on their site. The concert is definitely worth watching/listening. Regina has some funny dialogue talking to people listening to the radio (usually she doesn't talk much while performing).



And now I'll switch to a completely unrelated topic (actually, I suppose it's not completely unrelated, because Regina Spektor is currently writing a Broadway musical). The Tony Awards are on Sunday! Tony night is one of my favorite nights of the year. I'll share my predictions here now (and you can see how I do on Sunday). I'm really rooting for Once, Nina Arianda, and Other Desert Cities. There are a lot of close races this year, so it'll be exciting.

Best Play: Other Desert Cities (Clybourne Park could very well take it, but I much prefer Other Desert Cities.)
Best Musical: Once (This is an incredibly tight race between Once and Newsies, but I really want Once to win.)
Best Revival of a Play: Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman
Best Revival of a Musical: Follies
Best Book of a Musical: Once - Enda Walsh
Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics): Newsies - Music: Alan Menken Lyrics: Jack Feldman
Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play: Philip Seymour Hoffman - Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman (James Corden has a shot, though.)
Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play: Nina Arianda - Venus in Fur
Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: Danny Burstein - Follies (although I keep going between him and Steve Kazee from Once)
Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical: Audra McDonald - The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess
Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play: Christian Borle - Peter and the Starcatcher (although I will not be at all surprised if Andrew Garfield wins)
Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play: Judith Light - Other Desert Cities
Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical: Phillip Boykin - The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess
Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical: Judy Kaye - Nice Work If You Can Get It
Best Direction of a Play: Mike Nichols - Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman
Best Direction of a Musical: John Tiffany - Once
Best Choreography: Christopher Gattelli - Newsies
Best Orchestrations: Martin Lowe - Once
Best Scenic Design of a Play: John Lee Beatty - Other Desert Cities
Best Scenic Design of a Musical: Rob Howell and Jon Driscoll - Ghost the Musical
Best Costume Design of a Play: Paloma Young - Peter and the Starcatcher
Best Costume Design of a Musical: Gregg Barnes - Follies
Best Lighting Design of a Play: Jeff Croiter - Peter and the Starcatcher
Best Lighting Design of a Musical: Hugh Vanstone - Ghost the Musical
Best Sound Design of a Play: Darron L West - Peter and the Starcatcher
Best Sound Design of a Musical: Clive Goodwin - Once

No comments: