Friday, July 22, 2011

"I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight on a bed of California stars. I'd like to lay my weary bones tonight on a bed of California stars." ~wilco

Oh my goodness, Comic-Con is insane. 130,000 people (including me) have descended on San Diego for this nerd's paradise, and even for a New Yorker, it's overwhelming. But it's also amazing. I had been warned that I would spend much of my time waiting in lines, but it was still a bit of a surprise to discover the extent to which that is true. I waited over two hours on Wednesday night just to pick up my badge. Over two hours, just to get a badge! I went to the badge pick-up with a friend and we were in line outside and she said, "this isn't so bad." We assumed that when we got inside the building, we'd be able to get our badges right away. I joked, "Watch when we get inside there are more lines snaking through the whole thing." I was totally kidding, but it turns out I was right. This is what it looked like:
It was ridiculous. But I got my badge so I was ready for Thursday morning.
On Thursday morning I got in line early for Ballroom 20. The first panel was Burn Notice, which I don't watch, but I sat through it because Covert Affairs was next (it's one of my favorite shows). I got a good spot, and the Burn Notice panel was actually really entertaining. Bruce Campbell is hilarious.


Covert Affairs was awesome. Piper Perabo is adorable, Peter Gallagher is, well, Peter Gallagher (I LOVE him), Chris Gorham is gorgeous and charming...I love that entire cast, and it was so much fun to see them interact in person. I filmed the panel so I didn't focus on taking photos. I'll upload my videos later.

Next I went to Napoleon Dynamite. If you're wondering why the cast of a movie that came out seven years ago was there, it's because they've turned the movie into an animated series that'll begin airing midseason on Fox. It was fun to see the cast reunited. I mostly went because of Tina Majorino (I'm a huge Veronica Mars fan), but I liked seeing Jon Heder (who is incredibly hilarious) and the rest of the cast as well. That panel was in a small room and I was right up front, so it was a nice change from Ballroom 20.


Next I headed to NerdHQ, where I was working and got to see the Felicia Day panel. She's pretty amazing. Here she is with Zac Levi:

At night I went to see Mark Christopher Lawrence (Big Mike on Chuck) do his stand-up act, which was fun. I'll post a photo later.

I'm not sure when I'll post again. I know I won't be back to my hotel room for a couple of days because I'll be working at NerdHQ until late and then camping out for panels. Another defining feature of Comic-Con seems to be the fact that no one sleeps. Eventually I'll put a bunch of pictures online, but that might not be for awhile.

This is just my day one report, so stay tuned for more!

No comments: