Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"We’ll be their pet, we’ll wear their collar. Into the flame and off to the movies. The thrilling of Claire, for the thrilling of Claire. The thrilling of Claire, for the thrilling of Claire." ~the national

I love looking at New Yorkers' footwear in the snow. Random, right? I wear my tall, blue-striped rain boots. A lot of people wear rain boots. Some people wear heavy duty snow boots, some people wear old ratty sneakers, other opt for work boots...it's quite interesting.

Today was the best snow day ever. I ended up going to the matinee of Time Stands Still, starring Laura Linney, Brian d'Arcy James, Alicia Silverstone, and Eric Bogosian. I love Laura Linney. You Can Count On Me is one of my favorite movies (I wanted her to win the Oscar for it). She was fabulous in this play (the entire cast was fabulous, in fact). I thought she worked really well with Brian d'Arcy James. I kept wanting him to break into song, because I'm used to seeing him in musicals! He's a great dramatic actor, though. Alicia Silverstone was wonderfully adorable; she was perfectly cast. I had a second row orchestra seat, which really made me feel pulled into the action. The New York Times raved about the play here; it's a great review to read. I would quote highlights but there are too many.

After the play I met Christin for a Cirque de Soleil event/rehearsal open house, which was cool, and then we went to a thing at Dylan's Candy Bar, which was even cooler. We dipped rice krispie treats and pretzels in the chocolate fondue fountain, drank hot chocolate, and ate too much chocolate. It was so yummy, though. And who can resist free chocolate?? Not I, my friends, not I.

It will not be easy to go into work tomorrow. This day off in the middle of the week was just a tease. Only two more days until winter break, though. I hope I can get through them unscathed.

I'll leave you with this awesome piece on one of my favorite actresses, Alison Pill. I love her. She's just so...cool. Without even trying to be. I've seen her in a few things onstage (The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Mauritius, reasons to be pretty) and she always gives a knock-out performance. Nic and I saw her sing at this tiny, tiny bar in the East Village one night and she has a great voice (even though the music was incredibly bizarre).
Some of my favorite quotes from the feature:
"I've broken a lot of sets."

“I grew up a happy kid in Toronto. I’ve never suffered. I’ve never even had a real job! But I understand sadness and striving, and those two things tie into all the roles that I’ve played.”

"When I was doing Inishmore, every time I got drunk, I’d turn Irish. I was like, ‘It doesn’t affect me at’all!’ What’re ya talkin’ about? Shut da fuck up!’”
There's also a great profile of Ethan Hawke in the magazine. It's a lot longer than Pill's and I don't have time to pull out quotes, but it's worth the read.

No comments: