Friday, February 26, 2010

"I don't worry anymore, nothing like I did before. I don't worry, I just watch them rolling back. I don't worry anymore, 'cause it's all right, all right to see a ghost. And I wanna see 'em go down in the river where they go, and I wanna see 'em rolling, rolling back. And I wanna see 'em go, 'cause it's all right, all right to see your ghost." ~the national

We had our second snow day of the year today! It's crazy outside, so I stayed in. I think we got around 20 inches of snow (probably more, because it's still snowing). It was lovely to stay home.

Last night I went to see The Miracle Worker on Broadway. Oh. My. Gosh. All I have to say is: Abigail Breslin, Abigail Breslin, Abigail Breslin. Absolutely amazing. I loved the show, mostly because of the performances. I was in the front row in a perfect spot (I felt like I was onstage, and I practically was because the stage isn't raised, it's the same level as the audience and goes right up to your feet), and there was something about that intimacy that really made me connect to it. I love that theatre. Being mere feet away from Abigail Breslin and seeing her expressions up close was amazing. She really, really impressed me. She doesn't have a single line in the play (she plays Helen Keller), but she captured the character perfectly. She nailed the physicality. She'd be sitting onstage a couple of feet away from me with a heart-wrenching expression on her face and tears pouring down her cheeks, and tears would jump to my eyes as well. Alison Pill plays Annie Sullivan, and she was wonderful as usual. I've seen her in a bunch of things and she's one of my absolute favorite stage actresses (maybe my favorite). The two of them must be covered in bruises! Jennifer Morrison (from House) and Matthew Modine gave good (not wonderful, but good) performances as The Kellers.
I've read complaints about this production, and most complaints were from people who had a bad view. Luckily I didn't have that problem; I had a perfect view. The play may not be suited to theatre in the round (or at least not when it's staged like it is), but I didn't have a problem seeing anything. I could understand why you wouldn't like it if you could only see the backs of the actors' heads, because that takes away the whole appeal; you need to see the actors' facial expressions to enjoy this play. I wonder if they'll change anything regarding the set before it opens.
They were filming the performance, and there was a camera directly across from me, so I'm nervous that there will be some video in which I appear (crying and wearing my bright blue striped rain boots) that a bunch of people will see.

No comments: