Monday, January 18, 2010

"And this ain’t no place for the weary kind. And this ain’t no place to lose your mind. And this ain’t no place to fall behind. Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try." ~ryan bingham & t-bone burnett

My Golden Globes thoughts:

GOOD

* JEFF BRIDGES, Jeff Bridges, Jeff Bridges. I was afraid he wouldn't win because not many people have seen Crazy Heart (but I have!). Luckily he did win. And gave such a classy speech. I loved his heartfelt thanks to his stand-in. Who thanks their stand-in?! He just seems like such a good guy. And he gave a great performance in Crazy Heart. So I was very happy.

* Sandra Bullock. I actually think Carey Mulligan was more deserving in that category, but I was still happy to see Sandra win. At least Meryl Streep didn't win for It's Complicated. It was bad enough that she won in the musical/comedy category over Marion Cotillard. I like Sandra Bullock, I think she's a very good actress, and I'm glad to see her being recognized. And I loved her in The Blind Side.

* Michael C. Hall. He should have won a Golden Globe a long time ago for Six Feet Under. Even though this award was for Dexter, I was glad to see him recognized.

* "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart winning Best Song. I love T-Bone Burnett. Love him. So I was happy for him. And I love that song. Although I'm still peeved that Sad Brad Smith wasn't even nominated (for "Help Yourself" from Up in the Air).

* Grey Gardens! And Drew Barrymore! I love Grey Gardens. And I love Drew Barrymore. So glad that it won Best Miniseries/TV Movie and she won Best Actress for it.

Hmmmm.....I can't think of any other winners that I was thrilled about. Of course I was extremely excited to see some of the presenters. Lauren Graham! Kristen Bell! Zachary Levi! Nicole thought it was hilarious that I knew in advance with whom Lauren was presenting, what award she was presenting, and when it would appear in the telecast.

BAD

* JANE LYNCH WAS SNUBBED. BIG TIME. Seriously. She is the best thing about Glee by far. She is absolutely brilliant in it. I've read some reports and I'm not the only person who believes she was snubbed, which is some consolation, but not much. Hopefully she'll win an Emmy instead.

* AVATAR?! I actually didn't see Avatar, but the fact that Nicole was so angry she was ready to destroy my TV is proof enough for me that it should not have won best director and best picture (I trust her judgment). Everything I've read about it indicates that it is NOT the best picture of the year. Best Picture should have been Up in the Air, which steadily grew on me the more I thought about it after seeing it. And I wanted James Cameron's ex-wife, Kathryn Bigelow, to win best director (for The Hurt Locker). In his speech he even said he thought she would win. She's won the season's other awards for best director, and hopefully she still manages to win the Oscar.


Anyway, those are my strong feelings. Everything else I was kind of 'meh' about. I wanted 500 Days of Summer to win Best Musical/Comedy, but I liked The Hangover so I wasn't too disappointed that it won. I don't think Robert Downey Jr. should have won Best Actor in a Musical/Comedy, but I like him so I wasn't too disappointed.

It was a fun evening overall. Nic and I had TONS of food; it looked like we were having a big party when it was just the two of us. We ate a lot and drank a lot. And screamed a few times. It was a good time.

No comments: