Sunday, July 26, 2009

"All last night you tossed and turned. Your body was hotter than the night that Richmond burned. You say you had a bad nightmare, about tractor trailers crashing." ~the felice brothers

I keep going back to that song. I listen to it in spurts. I'll listen to it over and over. I love the way he sings that line, "You say you had a bad nightmare, about tractor trailers crashing." His voice fades to an almost-whisper during that last word; it really gets me. So I'll listen to it on repeat for awhile, and then months later I'll go back to it. It feels like finding money in a pocket that I forgot was there. Their newest album, Yonder is the Clock, is also wonderful. "Katie Dear" is a highlight for me (not to be confused with the Black Crowes' song of the same name about Robinson's then-wife Kate Hudson). I love all the slow tracks in particular. Check it out; it will definitely turn out to be one of the best albums of 2009. They're playing in New York on August 6th and I've been tempted to buy tickets (it doesn't help that I keep checking back and they're still available). I'm not sure how much stage time they'll get, though (probably not all that much). They're touring with some other bands (Old Crow Medicine Show, Dave Rawlings, Gillian Welch, Justin Townes Earle). It's a format similar to Counting Crow's outing this summer (The Traveling Circus and Medicine Show). I'm more than happy to pay for Counting Crows' touring experiment (I would be happy listening to Adam Duritz read the phone book; in fact, I'd be happy just to stare at him for a few hours), but I'm not sure I can cough up the money to see The Felice Brothers with all those other acts that I don't really care about; it probably won't be worth it. Anyway, I'm enjoying listening to their albums right now. Gosh, I can't wait to see Counting Crows this summer at Central Park. I'm devastated that I'm missing their Hammerstein Ballroom show because I'll be in Colorado. No one seems to get what a big deal it is that I'm missing it, which makes me even angrier. One more (huge) casualty of my parent's move to Colorado, one of many casualties that are invisible to them. By the way, I do realize how completely selfish I'm being. I know, I'm a terrible person. Whatever. As much as I try, I really can't force myself to not feel this way right now. And this is where I vent.

Who wants to go with me to Comic Con next year? Because I really want to go. All the updates on my Twitter page are about it because of whom I'm following. If Chuck is renewed for a third season, I really think I might go. Check out the fabulous Jeffster performance that opened the Chuck panel:


Speaking of TV, I just watched the final episodes of Samantha Who?. I loved the way it ended (except for one minor storyline), but I want to see more! I'm sad it was canceled. It was a really good show. I wish Christina Applegate would win the Emmy this year for her performance.
Oh, and Dirty Sexy Money is airing its final episodes. It's getting really good! I'm mad they canceled that show as well. I can't wait to see how it ends (I hope they tied it up nicely, despite the late-notice cancellation).

I'm back from a fabulous trip to Hilton Head. It felt really nice to spend time at the beach relaxing. We ate some great food, did some shopping, and got lots of sun. Tomorrow my grad school class begins (10am-6pm). Back to the real world. Here we are on our last night of vacation:

And finally, happy birthday to Katka, one of my (very few) loyal readers!

1 comment:

Danke said...

aww, I just read it. Thank you, hon:)))