Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Well you can fall for chains of silver, you can fall for chains of gold. You can fall for pretty strangers, and the promises they hold. You promised me everything, you promised me thick and thin, yeah! Now you just say, 'Oh Romeo? Yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him.'" ~dire straits

Last night's highlight: seeing The Indigo Girls and Matt Nathanson for free thanks to a very kind stranger! I always go to the concerts at Summerstage and sit outside the venue to listen. The sound quality is absolutely perfect; you can hear everything inside the venue. There are always tons of people sitting outside, and best of all, you don't have to pay! I love it. So last night I went to hear Matt Nathanson and the Indigo Girls. I was sitting outside, and five minutes into Matt Nathanson's set, a random guy came up to me and offered me a ticket that he couldn't use. It was so incredibly generous of him, and I was thrilled! Everyone else inside the venue paid $50, and I got in for free thanks to the generosity of a stranger. It made me really happy.

The concert was wonderful. I was mostly excited about Matt Nathanson; I really enjoy his music (particulary his album Some Mad Hope). A highlight was his sing-along cover of Journey's Don't Stop Believing. You can't help but smile when you're singing along to one of the greatest pop songs of all time with thousands of people, led by Matt Nathanson.

I know the Indigo Girls' biggest hits, but I'm not overly familiar with all their songs, and I was pleasantly surprised. They played the ones that I knew (Closer to Fine, Galileo) as well as some new ones that I liked. I think the crowd made it particularly enjoyable; there was a great energy in the air. They closed their main set with Closer to Fine (the song that everyone knows), and it was fabulous. Matt Nathanson came onstage and sang with them, which I loved. They also played Dire Straits' Romeo and Juliet, which is one of my favorite songs. And they closed with Galileo, another good one. It was a beautiful evening and was so relaxing and fun.

After hearing Romeo and Juliet last night, I came home and listened to all the versions of the song that I have. Anyone care to vote in the comments section on their favorite? (I'm also throwing Matt Nathanson's cover of Don't Stop Believing into this playlist just for fun.)


Get Your Own Player!




And Closer to Fine last night:

1 comment:

Denise said...

I've started to read your blog again. That concert sounds like fun! And you don't see that kind of gernerosity very often anymore. So cool!

And you probably know my favorite version already lol. It's the one by the Killers *sigh*