Saturday, April 18, 2009

"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me." ~matchbox 20

I have Broadway show updates. I've seen three shows (all for free) recently that I haven't written about.

I saw Waiting for Godot earlier this week. I've read the play many times (at least five) and did a project on college about it, so I know it well (and love it). I thought this was a great production. Nathan Lane, Bill Irwin, John Goodman, and John Glover were all wonderful in their roles. Bill Irwin particularly shined (I'm a big fan of his). The minimalistic set was perfect and the actors worked well together.

This afternoon I went to the matinee of The Philanthropist. Matthew Broderick hasn't done well choosing plays lately. I wasn't crazy about this one. Broderick's performance was good (despite his iffy British accent), but the show needs work. I was mostly excited to see it because of Steven Weber (LOVE him). For some reason he's not as charming with a British accent. He messed up a few times, which was funny (one time he cut off another actor and another time he forgot his line and said, "Oh, fuck, I forgot what I was going to say..."). Anyway, it was free so I can't complain.

I went to The Norman Conquests tonight (also for free) and saw Round and Round the Garden. I was sitting in the front row, practically on the stage; if I had stretched out my legs, my feet would have been onstage (the stage was at ground level). It was theatre-in-the-round, so I felt like the rest of the audience was staring at me. When one character tore open his shirt I got hit with a button (I kept it), and another character spit on me. I love being part of the action. The play was absolutely hilarious. I haven't laughed that much in awhile. Ooh, at the performance I saw Kevin Spacey, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Julie White, all of whom I love, so that was cool.

Spring break is almost over and I am dreading getting back to the real world. I got absolutely no work done over my break, so tomorrow will be a busy day. Ugh.

No comments: