Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Every generation gets a chance to change the world. Pity the nation that won't listen to your boys and girls. 'Cause the sweetest melody is the one we haven't heard. Is it true that perfect love drives out all fear? The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear. Oh, but a change of heart comes slow..." ~u2

I've been listening to U2's new album No Line on the Horizon for awhile now, and I really, really like it. It does sound different from their most recent albums, and I welcome the change (not that I didn't enjoy their last two albums, I just like the new sound). "No Line on the Horizon" is a great opener, "Moment of Surrender" is beautiful, "Unknown Caller" is captivating and the chorus sometimes makes me think of "Numb" (which is a HUGE compliment from me), "I'll go Crazy if I Don't go Crazy Tonight" is incredibly catchy and energizing, "Breathe" is just wonderful (I love the rhythm)...there are so many strong songs on this album. I've tried to avoid reading reviews while I keep listening to it and am forming my own opinion, but now I'm interested to see what the critics say (not that they'll change my opinion).
I'm bummed that U2 is doing a stadium tour this summer, though. I was hoping for arenas. I suppose it will be easier to get tickets to stadium shows, but still.

I just finished reading The Great Gilly Hopkins (by Katherine Paterson) once again. I've read it many, many times, and each time it makes me cry. I'm in the middle of reading it to my classes, and I'm afraid that I'll start crying in front of them when I get to the end. I can't help myself. It gets me every time. It's such a good book. I want them to love it as much as I do, although I'm afraid they don't so far. It's disappointing how many of them don't like reading and can't connect to books, no matter how hard I try to engage them and to find them books that I think they'll enjoy. I quickly learned that they don't like most of the books I loved as a young adult. I thought this one would be different, and some of them are interested, but still...I suppose I can't expect miracles. We'll see how the rest of it goes.

South Carolina was good. I loved doing nothing. And I loved seeing my grandparents. It was difficult to come back to school this week. And it is a crazy week. Tomorrow I'm going to a workshop with Yo-Yo Ma that lasts until 7:30 (I'm missing my grad school class that I also missed last week). On Thursday we have parent-teacher conferences until 8:00pm, and then I have to rush to my grad school class that ends at 10:00pm. That means on Thursday I'll be away from my apartment from 7:00am-10:30pm. That's a long day. I also have a loooot of work to do, for school (teaching) and for grad school. Ugh.

2 comments:

gege said...

I love reading you .I like the way you write.
for the kids. Don't worry kepp trying, keep reading books to them. you are doing well.
Maybe most of them will never connect with books but some will.
Would they without your help?
sorry for my English.I'm learning

Claire said...

Aw, thank you. :)