Friday, July 18, 2008

"Moon River, wider than a mile, I'm crossing you in style some day. Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker, wherever you're going I'm going your way." ~johnny mercer

I realized that I haven't written about either of my summer courses yet. The first one was last week, and the second one is this week (it ends tomorrow). Each course is three credits, which is what you normally get for a course spread out over a whole semester (16 weeks). Cramming all the material into one week is intense (to say the least). Each course is six days in a row, eight hours a day. It's exhausting. Our course this week has been incredibly interesting, though. It's called 'Making Meaning Through Community Drama,' and the instructor is an adorable old British man. His book was one of the required readings for my Drama in Education class last semester. He's absolutely brilliant, but he's also incredibly hilarious and kind and wonderful. On Monday we went to speak to senior citizens in a community center, and we spent the rest of the week devising a theatre piece to present to them based on the stories that they told us. Tomorrow we're performing it at the Center. The process has been so fascinating; it's such a cool feeling to know that we used their stories to create an actual piece of theatre. We're singing some beautiful songs in the piece (Moon River, Earth Angel, and more), and that's why Moon River is in my head right now. I'm opening the show with a monologue, which I'm pretty nervous about. There are tons of great actors in the class, and somehow I (the person with no experience being onstage) end up opening the show. I expressed my concern to the instructor and he was so sweet; he called me 'petal' and told me not to worry, that I'd be lovely. We'll see how it goes.

Here's one of my favorite SatC scenes, featuring Moon River:

No comments: