Monday, July 21, 2008

"Actors are basically drag queens. People will tell you they act because they want to heal mankind or, you know, explore the nature of the human psyche. Yes, maybe. But basically we just want to put on a frock and dance." ~colin firth

I'm not opening with a song quote today, just a quote. Because I like it. I adore Colin Firth. And I love that he's not afraid to embrace his inner drag queen! He was hilarious in Mamma Mia!; I wish he had been given more to do. It was a fun movie. I love the entire cast. Amanda Seyfried is wonderful (I'm a huge fan of hers because of Veronica Mars), Meryl Streep is Meryl Streep ('nuff said), Pierce Brosnan's singing is ridiculous and yet he still just goes for it...they all just seemed like they were having such a good time.
I've seen a few movies in the past week or so, and I'm going to three advanced screenings this week (Brideshead Revisited, Step Brothers, and The Rocker), so I'll try to report back on those. I want to soak in as much air conditioning as possible (my apartment has no AC and feels like an oven). The Dark Knight was very well done. Heath Ledger stole the film. The Wackness was also pretty good; I love that Ben Kingsley is willing to play such a diverse characters.

My last class went well. On Saturday we went to perform at the senior citizen's center, and it was a success (I remembered my lines). The seniors seemed to really appreciate our work, which made me feel good. The man to whom I had spoken when we went there to collect stories brought me a bouquet of roses, which was incredibly sweet. I can't remember the last time someone gave me flowers. My instructor said something like, "Petal got flowers!" Did I mention that I adore him?

Today was my first acting class. I'm used to being the youngest person in my grad school classes (I'm the baby), but this is an undergrad class so I'm the oldest. It's an interesting shift. Class ends at noon, which gives me the rest of the day to do whatever, which I love. Today I met my dad for lunch; it was good to see him.

No comments: